• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needing help finding pulley part number, cause no one seems to have it

hizzo3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so i went to orielly's and told them i needed a new idler pulley. they said all they had was the tensioner pulley . i am needing the idler pulley that is on the ac unit (its smaller by about 1/2" diam then the tensioner pulley) on my 96 xj 2.5l anyone know what this part number or a part number that will work is? the bearring is shot on it. The part number can be from any major autoparts place (napa, orielly's, autozone, pepboys are all in my area)

Thanks ya'll!

If youre talking about the pulley that is located on the AC bracket holding the compressor to the engine you have to get it from the dealer. You could try maybe online like allchryslerparts.com, quadratec.com or ebay. It is not something you can get from the aftermarket if the pulley bearing is pressed into the bracket and can't be removed seperately without a press. I have heard of some people using a shop press to remove the bearing and replace it with one from a bearing supplier.

I think the bearing is a standard 6203-2RS 17x40x10mm bearing, about $2 each from eBay. I get mine from www.vxb.com. At least all idler/tension pulley bearings I've changed were this size, which includes an 89 MJ, 93 ZJ, and 2006 Nissan Frontier. It's a very common size and can be pressed out with a long bolt and big sockets it you don't have a press. Or even a hammer will work if you're careful.

the bearring is the same number as the idler pulley, and since that bearring was just fine (i messed up the acutal pulley there) i will just try and press out the bearring and reuse it on the ac idler pulley.....

lawsoncl said:
I think the bearing is a standard 6203-2RS 17x40x10mm bearing, about $2 each from eBay. I get mine from www.vxb.com. At least all idler/tension pulley bearings I've changed were this size, which includes an 89 MJ, 93 ZJ, and 2006 Nissan Frontier. It's a very common size and can be pressed out with a long bolt and big sockets it you don't have a press. Or even a hammer will work if you're careful.

Really, I thought it was really well pressed in there.A 6203 2 rubber seal bearing I could pick up at NAPA. I was thinking about going to the junkyard to get the bracket- that way I have one to practice on without screwing mine up.

wait a sec.... just read the posting from lawsoncl...... my bearring is in the acutal pulley, not in the bracket.... keep in mind i have the rare 2.5L. My pulley looks just like the tensioner pulley, just the outter diameter is different. Same bearing number inside on the bearing.

I am going to go and try and press it out using a bolt some washers and a large socket or something else like that. then i will do the opposite to put the new bearing back in....

Yes, the 4.0 pulleys have the bearing in the pulley as well. Given the shape of the pulley, I suggest pressing it out toward the rear and pressing the new one in from the front. Mark or measure how far the original bearing was pressed in and push the replacement in the same amount.

Back