• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine - OMG! No dist or wires!

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not total nubcakes, although this 01XJ is my first distributorless 4.0L, and I'm getting some rough idle at start-up. It smooths out after a few seconds, but it was enough to give me a check engine light.

I'm assuming it just needs a little love, and although there isn't a distributor or wires, I think I see plugs under some kind of rail. Unfortunately, I don't have an owners manual or repair manual.

What course of action would you guys recommend? :)

300634566_241b899dfa.jpg

First you need to get the code pulled and then go from there.

That rail that you see covers the spark plugs, 4 bolts hold the rail in place. Pull the rail up and off of the spark plugs. You may not get it completely clear, I just lift mine up off the plugs and then push it below the plugs along side the engine.. By the way that rail have three distributer like packs built into it. Chyrsler's sense of humor. It is suppose to be more effeicent, I have two Jeeps one with one without I don't really see any diff. Then it could just be me, stuck in the olden days.
Also before you do anythng you might want to go to local parts store and ask them to check OBII for any codes most do it for free.

missouri

I believe its called "heat soak" the 00s and 01s get it

see DC decided to not insulate our (I have an 00) injectors and because this they can get so hot that fuel actually vaporizes in the injector due to the content of ethanol in the fuel combined with the lovely hot running of the 4.0.. its mainly the number three injector thats effected but you should insulate them all... oh and the code it will throw if you do check it is DTCPO 303

"heat splash" feels like your jeep is running really bad, check engine light comes on, exhaust note is kind of loud, rpms are kind of all over the place and within maybe 20 to 30 seconds your running smooth again..

5602h371aa is the part number you will need get 6 of them and cut each one in half and wrap it aroudn the injector....while your at the dealership they'll tell you that, that part number is for a plug wire holder, Its not believe me.

Andrew

Last edited:
LilRhodyXJ said:

see DC decided to not insulate our (I have an 00) injectors and because this they can get so hot that fuel actually vaporizes in the injector due to the content of ethanol in the fuel combined with the lovely hot running of the 4.0.. its mainly the number three injector thats effected but you should insulate them all... oh and the code it will throw if you do check it is DTCPO 303

"heat splash" feels like your jeep is running really bad, check engine light comes on, exhaust note is kind of loud, rpms are kind of all over the place and within maybe 20 to 30 seconds your running smooth again..

5602h371aa is the part number you will need get 6 of them and cut each one in half and wrap it aroudn the injector....while your at the dealership they'll tell you that, that part number is for a plug wire holder, Its not believe me.

Andrew
On that note I've had my 2000 do that on the trail. Odd enough it wasn't a hot day, in the 50* IIRC. Putting washers under the back of the hood helps, but the floor will get much warmer on highway trips. So much so I would wear a pair of sandles for trips even in the winter time.

LilRhodyXJ said:

Of course, being an evaporative issue... different formulations of gas can be more or less prone to it. Running my normal Exxon or BP, I've never had a single episode.... but on a couple of trips across the PA Turnpike with "captive" Sunoco stations, it's happened a few times. Same trip with off-'pike stops at better brands... no problem.

Den

LilRhodyXJ said:

Andrew, is this the correct part number?

I just called the dealer and their system has no entry for it. Not first time I've had this happen - they couldn't find the WJ brake TSB kit either without a lot of prodding and getting the right guy on the system.

Do you have the TSB number for this kit? That would be helpful.

TIA

- Christopher

I lost the TSB number but that is the right part number. I finally convinced the parts guy at the local Jeep dealership that it exsists and he has gottin a bunch for me. I had to pay up front and sign that even if it wasn't the right part I would take it. He looked pretty stupid when it was the right part so he ordered the rest of mine up and some for a buddy.

Andrew

Oops, little searching around and this is the correct info. For the record and any searchers that stumble across this thread:

TSB 18-039-03

PN: 56028371AA

Local dealer was able to find/order this number and it matches the TSB.

Sorry, haven't dealt with this yet - I'm going to get it scanned soon, I promise! The Cherokee has been running fine despite the CEL, hence my procrastination. :)

Is the injector insulation you speak of in addition to the sheet of insulation that you can see on top of the manifold?

344535226_81de2dd7d5.jpg

cshontz said:
Sorry, haven't dealt with this yet - I'm going to get it scanned soon, I promise! The Cherokee has been running fine despite the CEL, hence my procrastination. :)

Is the injector insulation you speak of in addition to the sheet of insulation that you can see on top of the manifold?

344535226_81de2dd7d5.jpg

Yes. They are little white sleeves that wrap around the injector barrel and are secured with zip-ties. Face the slot away from the manifold. You want to install them when the engine is cold. 8^))

BTW, the distributor rail is not only more durable but also hotter than traditional plug wires by a mile. It looks strange but it is really a big improvement, IMO.

Back