• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25" Chrysler /Dana 35 swap

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any drive line issues going to a 8.25" from a Dana 35. The Chrysler is going in a 90 XJ currently running the Turdy Five. I'm just wondering if the pinion is longer ? He has about a 5" lift so his TC yoke is pulled out a little already and he has good bumpstops to fit 35s so he shouldn't bottom out on the Transfer Case end unless the 8.25 is a lot longer.
Thanks ! :wave:

i did the same swap late september with some help from here- thanks Matt!. i have had no problems. it appeared the pinion was about the same length, maybe a tad longer. but it wasnt a big deal for me with 4.5" of lift and stock drive shaft.

another person helping out sure helped a lot.

some things to consider when doing the swap. e brake cables. way easier if the 8.25 has the e brake cables on it already otherwise you have to dismantle the drum brakes to attatch it. no biggie i just hate drum brakes (saving for the disk swap). if your lift had shims, you want to look at those realy close. i had one of my shims break in half and the back half fell out. USE NEW U BOLTS!!! i cant stress that enough. even if they look good, they have distorted and weakened from the last install.

my swap was just a bolt off, lug the old thing out of the way, and bolt on the "new" stuff with the exception of the E brake.

hth
stewie

I just did the reverse. Pulled the 8.25 with 3.07 and put in a D35 until I can get the 8.25 regeared. 8.25 is longer. My drive shaft was too short after the swap. Had to pull the D35 drive shaft out of the donor. Eveything else was pretty easy, but the D35 did have e-brake cables.

Tom

I did the d35 to 8.25 swap with 5" of lift, and had to cut just over 1" off of my driveshaft to avoid destroying my transfer case everytime i hit a bump.

-C

cal said:
I did the d35 to 8.25 swap with 5" of lift, and had to cut just over 1" off of my driveshaft to avoid destroying my transfer case everytime i hit a bump.

-C
He has about 4" of added bumpstop so he should be OK there. The E-brake cables are on the axle so no worry there either. He got the 8.25 with 4.56 to match his , Chrome molys, Lockright locker, raised shock mounts and raised bumps stops for $350.
Pretty good deal I think !
Man I couldn't believe the size of the tubes, not that has anything to do with strength, but they are huge compared to my 44.

Cool, wanted to make sure you werent overlooking them before the swap :)

I've seen that happen here a few times, and that last minute search for u-bolts can be a bear.

MoparManiac said:
Actually I've heard that the size of the housing contributes greatly to the 8.25s strength.
Unless you are talking shaft strength which is usually what breaks. I'm sure the housing is probably stronger then the twiggy 35 housing. To bad they are c-clip, they would be really bad ass if not.:woohoo:

Back