• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 comanche starter

Smalty

NAXJA Forum User
Hello

Looking for any tips and helpful advice on removing and replacing a starter for a 1988 Comanche. I've done a starter once on an 88 Oldsmobile just looking for general information stories ect. will be doing this tomorrow with borrowed tools on campus so its going to be an adventure.

thanks fellas

Other than remembering to disconnect the negative cable at the battery there is nothing to it.

I am not sure but that should be close to my 85 xj. Make sure you take a look at what tools you need. The 2bolts on my old 85 were a star socket, I don't remember but I am thinking a 10mm. On an 85 at the junkyard they were a 13mm socket. And the 85 I have now is a big allen head. I know for sure that all 3 needed a 3/8 to pull the little nut holding the power cable.

Other than that just like Joe said not too tough. 2 long bolts and the little 3/8

All I'll add is that it's easily done in the parking lot. I did mine in the driveway without jacking the vehicle up or anything. Probably covered in oil however, everything under there usually is.

Remember that the bolt from the front is metric and the bolt from the rear is english IIRC.

Thanks guys they're definitely star heads so it sounds like tool is the only itchy spot.

cool thanks

Again, as Old Man pointed out, don't mix up the bolts!

Good luck.

CANT GET TO THE THIRD BOLT!!!!!!!!

help please, its next to the engine block, its a 2.5l 4cl 4 speed!

Back