• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

50 state emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have the two cats and now have to replace the whole system do i have to out the 50 state smissions style back on or can i get rid of some of the extra cats i don't need here in PA?

PA does have emission testing. Is this conversion possible though? I have a 2001 with the pre-cats as well and I would like to remove them too. If I replaced with 49 state Y-pipe, what would I do with the 4 O2 sensors?

PA does have emission testing. Is this conversion possible though? I have a 2001 with the pre-cats as well and I would like to remove them too. If I replaced with 49 state Y-pipe, what would I do with the 4 O2 sensors?

If for some reason you wanted to go through with this you would need to swap over the PCM and wiring from a 49 state vehicle. There is no real practical way to do this without effecting the PCM and having a major effect on emissions.

Just sack up and put the new damned cats on.

It doesn't matter where you live.Its Federal law and its illegal to alter any emission control systems from their original "as sold/delivered" form!

I'm from PA also. Even if your county doesn't require emissions testing the state saftey inspection requires a visual check for those parts.

Why do you need to change the cat out? If your getting a cat inefficency code make sure you don't have a large vaccum leak. My buddys 01XJ had 2 leaks causing the codes. One was the elbow on the side of the intake just under the throttle body was cracked. The other was the line that runs from the intake to the passenger side. The hood release cable rubbed a whole in it. Fixed both of those and its fine now with 170K.

I also would doubt the cats are trashed unless there's something you've left out.

Are you getting any codes?

I'm not looking to kill trees here. My XJ has California emissions and I live in Michigan. If I changed it back to 49 state emissions it shouldn't be a problem. It would still have the main cat on it. I'm not asking anyone to condone it, just could it be done without rewiring everything.

You have to accommodate all of them in some fashion or else get a CEL and never ending O2 codes.

heck, I live in CA and I'm getting ready to ditch the pre cat on my 97 :gee:

I could see where it would be a problem on 2000+ with all the o2 sensors, but F that thing on 99- it just makes the jeep run hotter and less efficiently

The 50th state IS California. All 49 other states are less stringent. Check the laws in your state. Ask a smog guy if you can do as described.

the one that only came on the ca emissions package, its right where most people put their flex joint

I just saw the listing in the factory parts guide for the downpipe (w/converter). Do you have another converter before the muffler or just the resonator?

Discussion of defeating emissions/safety equipment on NAXJA is against forum rules.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back