• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter prophylaxis

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I'm thinking about swapping out my starter this weekend as a preventive measure before it fails. Its been working for at least 70k and I don't know how long it was on there before I bought the Jeep used.

I can buy a Bosch reman for $119 at NAPA or the NAPA house brand for the same price but its NEW. I've never had a problem with NAPA products but also know that you usually don't "get good for cheap."

Does anyone have experience with the NAPA starters? TIA

I would buy one off rockauto long before I would buy one from a parts chain... many of the same brands and usually cheaper.

Keep the old one as a spare :thumbup:

I would buy one off rockauto long before I would buy one from a parts chain... many of the same brands and usually cheaper.

Keep the old one as a spare :thumbup:

The key words are "this weekend." lol I have the time and inclination. While I've purchased from Rock Auto in the past, I'd really just like to buy a starter, plug it in, and be done with it. Thanks

FWIW, the starter in my XJ is all original and has 230k on it. Unless it's showing signs of failure, I wouldn't bother.

I'm thinking about swapping out my starter this weekend as a preventive measure before it fails. Its been working for at least 70k and I don't know how long it was on there before I bought the Jeep used.

I can buy a Bosch reman for $119 at NAPA or the NAPA house brand for the same price but its NEW. I've never had a problem with NAPA products but also know that you usually don't "get good for cheap."

Does anyone have experience with the NAPA starters? TIA

The reman starters and alternators NAPA carries are all lifetime warranty now, and even though they say mexico on the box (i think the solenoids they use come from mexico) they are rebuilt and tested in a warehouse in Torrance, CA by a company called AIM Electronics. I don't have much experience with the new units, but I sell the hell out of the reman units and i haven't had one come back for a warranty in 6 years.

Hope this helps. I manage a NAPA store in Gardena CA.

Back