• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep is 'horny'

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
So... i've got an 89 Cherokee , auto that has a unique issue.

It will randomly honk the horn. Usually not a consistent long honk, but short honks and to get it to stop I typically have to hold the horn down and it stops.

It happens when in reverse, happened yesterday when I went to turn a corner and put the blinker on, happened to my wife 10 mins ago when leaving the driveway and turning the corner by the bus stop.

Not quite sure where to start troubleshooting this one...

Anything would be helpful. Maybe a loose wire somewhere?

pull the horn button out of the steering wheel and there should be a wire with a spring on it adjust it a little and replace see if the problem persists. This happened to me on my s-10 and I was just able to adjust that wire and it fixed it for me.

could be the clock spring. I would check that. Like he said above, take the cover off and its under there.

no clockspring on an 89 (heck, no clockspring on any XJ 94-earlier) so that's probably not it. There might be a rotary sliding contact but that's about it.

The horn buttons on the 94-down style steering wheels like to stick and/or not work, mine is intermittent in the other way, it only works when it wants to. There is a kit out to fix em but I haven't messed with it yet, I honestly prefer the 95-up style steering columns and don't like messing with the old ones, too many wacky little screws and plastic cams and crap.

Im pretty sure you can just pull the button right off, no need to pry or anything like that. it has tabs all around it that spring in and out and when you put it back on you just pop it back in not a whole lot to it.

The horn circuit is grounded when you push the pad, the pad is just a switch nothing to adjust without going deeper into the column

I'd swap in another relay and see if that fixes it, else just pull the relay and live without having a horn

ehall, is it a relay in the junction box under the hood or a relay elsewhere? I'd prefer to have a horn as the horn in our Tacoma doesn't work right now... and my wife hates not having one for when dbags pull stupid moves on the street =)

I can't see the parts book clear enough, but seems to me there is a small "retainer" that keeps the horn grounding pin from contacting metal.

The relay is above and the left of the fuse panel. The fuse panel is about where your left toes are when driving.

Back