• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny axle transfer case ID

mtndew

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 cherokee laredo 4.0 auto 4x4. i was just wondering if someone could tell me which tranny, transfer case, and axles i have or how to find out if there are different options

also mine has part time and full time 4wd

Trans=AW4,transfer case=NP242,axles D30 up front and a D35 or D44 rear.

You have the auto so it's the AW-4. If you have a part time and full time 4wd selections on your transfer case selector you have the NP242. You can look at the diff cover on the axles to determine which ones you have.

You have the auto so it's the AW-4. If you have a part time and full time 4wd selections on your transfer case selector you have the NP242. You can look at the diff cover on the axles to determine which ones you have.

looking at the dif cover how do I tell which i have?

you have full time so that means the 242. im guessing it has ABS as well? if you do then you have a good front axle, non vacuum disconnect with the larger u-joints that later XJ's came with. as for the rear axle, refer to the picture above

it does have abs (that doesnt work for s**t). so what exactly is the difference between the axles? what does the vacuum disconnect do and what does mine do different?

your front axle shaft on the passenger side is one piece and always connected. its more reliable than the vacuum disconnect in other early XJ's since it cannot disconnect. this does not mean your in 4WD, just that everything is always spinning. and since you have ABS, your front axle has the bigger, stronger u-joints as well. so in terms of strength and reliability, its equal to a 94?+, whenever the bigger u-joints became standard

Back