• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating and stuttering

Ianf406

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I built my jeep but i dont know very much about the cooling system. I searched the forum but couldnt find what i was looking for.

alright so i have a 99xj and a while back it started overheating when i was sitting in one place without moving for very long.Once i started moving the temp would drop right back down. first few times it happened i turned it off while sitting but when i started it back up, it would sputter and choke and sometimes it wouldnt even start. Well to make a long story short, my girl took it on a road trip on leave and now it goes into the red and starts choking. I had her add water to it but it didnt help. (It even dies at stop lights)

So, as it doesnt seem to be leaking (from what she tells me) what is the problem? I told her to take it to a Jeep Dealership and have them replace the thermostat/flush the radiator... do the trick?

There are a lot of possibilities for overheating. Bad waterpump, clogged radiator, failing thermostat to name a few.

If your girlfriend has the vehicle and you don't have access to it, any reputable shop should be able to troubleshoot it properly.

Need it fixed ASAP. Overheating is very tough on hardware and can create problems with the head and head gasket if you don't repair it.

Wow. Bad.

Your first description I would have suspected a failing fan clutch.

No telling where you are at now and what damage has been done to the engine.

Mine did the same think to an extent. MY problem was the electric fan was not kicking on. 2 rapid cool 10 inch fans did the trick. Maybe try to get that checked out. Hope this might help.

Back