• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Transmission shifting after torque converter bolts tightened???

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so after reading thru the forums I noticed a topic that caught my attentions. I've been having some rattling/squeaking coming f/under my '96 XJ, 4.0, Auto... for the past few months. It's only noticeable when idling, stopped at a light... but as soon as I hit the gas the sounds goes away.

So this past weekend I pulled the inspection plate off my transmission... and put a wrench on the torque converter To flexplate bolts to check them. They were all tight... but as I wrenched them to make sure they were tight the flexplate would rotate until the next bolt was accessible. I would do the same and check that bolt by tightening it and rotating until the next bolt was accessible... etc... All 4 bolts were good and tight as I checked them so I put the tranny inspection plate back on and buttoned up everything.

SO now after doing that, and making no other changes... I get very hard shifts f/my tranny. Almost like I installed a shift-kit in the darn thing. It POPS f/ 1st to 2nd gear shifts and is less noticeable f/ 2nd to 3rd gear... but still shifts harder than before. It also shift somewhat hard/jerky when shifting f/ P to D... or P to R.

I'm not that familiar w/ how torque converters work, but could I have somehow 'wound' it up too tight or screwed things up by rotating it via the bolts? I am about due for a transmission fluid change so perhaps that will help once I get that done?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Should I be fine or is this something to be concerned about?

I really doubt it - you aren't applying any more torque (or even anywhere near as much) as the engine applies to the same thing.

Try adjusting your throttle valve cable - it's the one from the tranny to the throttle bellcrank, should be closest to the front of the vehicle of all the cables attached to the bellcrank. Here's the thread on it: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245043516

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your TCU is for some reason shifting between gears with the torque converter locked. When I forget and do that in my manumatic rig, it's a pretty hard shift.

OHHH... It slipped my mind that I was messing w/this adjustment about the same time.

I've tried the adjustment as per the instructions listed on the post you linked... however when I get to Step 4

"4.Rotate lever on throttle body to wide open throttle position. Cable will ratchet to correct adjustment point as lever is rotated."

My cable does not ratchet into any position... but holds the same position w/the conduit completely pushed back in.

I rotated the throttle body by hand to full open... is there another way to do it? Must be I got my shifting and such a bit out of position just like you mentioned.

That would probably explain it. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you, maybe the ratcheting sleeve is full of gunk? The one on my 96 was pretty stuffed up, I had to work it a couple times to make it slide easily.

After re-reading the 'how-to' I think I tried adjusting it incorrectly. I will re-try it after reading over the instructions again.

Yep... lots of gunk on mine too. I'll clean it up a bit better this time.

Thanks.

Back