• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter interlock Removal

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It's a long story but I need to remove the interlock.

Can I just bypass it by connecting the set of wires at the brake pedal switch? Or would that cause my battery to drain?
Did a search and only got questions no answers aside from disconnecting the cable will make it so you can't start.

90 4.0 AW4 xj

Last edited:
bah, have too many windows meant to put this in OEM tech :D

Moving to OEM Tech.

Ok, so you want to remove the Park Lock cable?

I read in a thread that removing the cable prevents the rig from starting. dunno if it's true :p

Thanks for the move.

The Park Lock cable prevents the key from being removed unless the AW4 shifter is in PARK.

The NSS prevents the engine from cranking by interrupting the ground to the starter relay.

What is your goal? Sorry if I'm a little dense.

Doesn't the same cable prevent shifting the AW4 without the key in the cylinder? I'm anticipating the same question if I ever get around to the final details of my keyless ignition (questionable).

If you pop up the trim up around the shifter you can see where the cable goes to the shifter mechanism, entering from the front. There you can see the cable and mechanism that prevents it from shifting out of park. I don't recall which side the cable is on. The other cable is the one that runs to the tranny. You might be able to simply remove the cable and fix it in position so that you can still turn the key off.

If you pop up the trim up around the shifter you can see where the cable goes to the shifter mechanism, entering from the front. There you can see the cable and mechanism that prevents it from shifting out of park. I don't recall which side the cable is on. The other cable is the one that runs to the tranny. You might be able to simply remove the cable and fix it in position so that you can still turn the key off.

Ahh so that's the deal. thanks I'll give it a shot.

My goal is being able to shift it from park to drive without applying the brakes.

Sent you a PM.

Ahh so that's the deal. thanks I'll give it a shot.

My goal is being able to shift it from park to drive without applying the brakes.

The 733 recall adds a shift interlock cable and wiring harness to 87 through 96 XJs and early ZJs. From what I remember while installing many of these cables is that all you need to do is simply disconnect the 2 wire connector from the solenoid attached to the cable. You can test this before doing any work by turning the ignition switch just one click towards start, but not so far that all the lights on the dash come on. Try moving the shifter now, it should move without pressing on the brake pedal.

Back