• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating @ Idle

rockhead

NAXJA Forum User
90 xj 4.0. Runs very cool if moving at any speed. Stop at a light for a little while and it starts to overheat. If I put it in neutral and raise the rpm's to about 1000 it will cool right off. I have a electric fan that I control with a switch. It seems to make no difference if that is on or not. Would this most likely be a fan clutch?

NAPA 272310 gets you the ZJ HD fan clutch, $44. It was available 97-98 models. NOT the MAX COOL, it won't fit.

It will be noisier than the standard fan when engaged. Standard fan clutch runs at 60-70 percent of shaft speed; HD runs at 80-90 percent. Both run at 30 percent when the clutch isn't engaged.

Bought the zj clutch from napa. But I put it on my 97. Then I swapped my working clutch from the 97 on and wala! No more overheating at idle. Thanks guys.

Oh and for the record I don't think the zj fan is that loud. My wife did not even notice.

I have a ZJ fan clutch for the wifes 95 ZJ, tried to put on my 89 xj ( both 4.0) and it doesn't mount to the fan blades.

As you guys know, ZJ fan mounts to waterpump.

XJ has a seperate pulley mount for fan clutch assembly (at
least 89 4.0).

What am I missing here, because I need a new clutch fan and would like to use the HD type?

It is only a certain type that fits. The part number is listed above. I went to autozone and tried to get the 97 non heavy duty cooling clutch and it was different. Had to go to napa and get the one listed above.

Is the one that fit's your vehicle not available? Why upgrade just because yours is broken? A non working part should be replaced and that is that. Now if you can't find that part or is so rare that it is more expensive than an upgraded replacement part is then go for it but what is the point of running back and forth trying to find a more rare part to "upgrade" your vehicle for nothing?

Why upgrade just because yours is broken?

Because a) either way you're going to be replacing it, and b) that being the case, doing an upgrade while you're in there anyway makes sense.

A non working part should be replaced and that is that.

Well... Yes. Not quite sure what your point was with that.

Now if you can't find that part or is so rare that it is more expensive than an upgraded replacement part is then go for it but what is the point of running back and forth trying to find a more rare part to "upgrade" your vehicle for nothing?

Well, let's see: as it happens, I'm paying attention to this thread because I need to do my fan clutch. NAPA lists two part numbers for my XJ: 272318, stock replacement ($38.99); 272310, upgrade ($43.99).

For an extra $5 my XJ gets improved cooling from a job I need to do anyway. Yeah, I'd say that's worth five bucks over the stock part.

Because a) either way you're going to be replacing it, and b) that being the case, doing an upgrade while you're in there anyway makes sense.

Well... Yes. Not quite sure what your point was with that.

Well, let's see: as it happens, I'm paying attention to this thread because I need to do my fan clutch. NAPA lists two part numbers for my XJ: 272318, stock replacement ($38.99); 272310, upgrade ($43.99).

For an extra $5 my XJ gets improved cooling from a job I need to do anyway. Yeah, I'd say that's worth five bucks over the stock part.

If your refering to the ZJ version for 5 bucks more then hell ya! My point was that someone is trying fix a broken part and is going back and forth to find an upgraded part that will fit takes more time (sometimes worth more than money) than to just get the replacement part and get back on the road maybe doesn't make sense. I'm always down for upgrading though!

If your refering to the ZJ version for 5 bucks more then hell ya! My point was that someone is trying fix a broken part and is going back and forth to find an upgraded part that will fit takes more time (sometimes worth more than money) than to just get the replacement part and get back on the road maybe doesn't make sense. I'm always down for upgrading though!

Relax, I was just trying to clarify the ZJ clutch upgrade deal that I've been reading about for a couple years now.

I guess it's kinda my hobby to keep my rig on the road everyday after 22years and 382,000 miles.

You might think I should just take it to the junkyard, as most every part(s) on have seen normal service life expire a long time ago.

Thank you for the advice and I will check Rockauto for a std. replacement clutch fan.

I have a ZJ fan clutch for the wifes 95 ZJ, tried to put on my 89 xj ( both 4.0) and it doesn't mount to the fan blades.

As you guys know, ZJ fan mounts to waterpump.

XJ has a seperate pulley mount for fan clutch assembly (at
least 89 4.0).

What am I missing here, because I need a new clutch fan and would like to use the HD type?

It is only a certain type that fits. The part number is listed above. I went to autozone and tried to get the 97 non heavy duty cooling clutch and it was different. Had to go to napa and get the one listed above.

Exactly--NAPA 272310 HD ZJ fan clutch listed only for 97-98, $44.

Will the Napa #272310 work on a '88 Jeep Cherokee Laredo L6 4.0? (the stock no. is the 272318). As noted, my XJ has a seperate pulley for fan clutch assembly. I am planning a road trip through the south (have a 3-row radiator, all new heater/rad hoses, water pump, aluminum expansion tank)

Someone said that the bolts holes were a different size ?

Thanks!

Should fit just fine. All the XJ 4.0s have the mechanical fan offset.

Don't try and get a Autozone/O'Reilly/Pep Boy/WHATEVAH substitute--get the NAPA part.

It will fit the 88. I have the napa part on my 89. Much better. Wish autozone had it, would love the employee discount.

Should fit just fine. All the XJ 4.0s have the mechanical fan offset.

Don't try and get a Autozone/O'Reilly/Pep Boy/WHATEVAH substitute--get the NAPA part.

Back