• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Running troubles

jgpoirier

NAXJA Forum User
Went and bought an 1990 XJ from my buddy today.
He had told me that the battery had died over the last year that it was sitting on his farm, so he would put it on the charger for when I got out to his farm.
When I got there he went to put it back into the truck but he put the leads on backwards. He got a big blast of smoke and then realized what he had done. Flip the battery around, and whallah the truck starts.

I get about half way home and at 75 mph the truck started to almost feel like it was running out of gas but the fuel gauge read three quarters. Pull over and the idles for a little bit then as I pop the hood it stalls.

I figure it has a fried alternator now and/or the alternator relay?

When we boost the vehicle it'll run fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Guy

Probably fried something, or Tonto got the smoke signal wrong.

Have the battery tested, if it fails replace. There should be a 10 ga wire from the back of the alternator to the starter relay large lug, that is what passes for the Renix PDC--power distribution center. It has a fusible link in it, and could have been the source of the smoke.

With a fully charged good battery, hooked up correctly please, measure the static voltage between the terminals--looking for 12.5 volts. Start the engine--looking for 13.0 to 15.3 volts (what you should get depends on ambient temperatures).

If you aren't getting any charge it could be the fusible link I mentioned earlier or the alternator itself.

Yea I just got the truck towed to my house and have the battery charging right now. I couldn't believe it we are both electricians and he just went ahead and slapped em on. Oh well cant change the past.

I have big plans for this truck, up until i hydrolocked my 4.7 in my durango, I wheel a lot. Had a 5" lift and 33 x 12.5 Dcepek Mud Countrys, with carpeted mdf storage system in the rear. Custom bumper was being build, now is been cancelled. But need a new trail rig so picked up this cherokee. Should be good. I'm glad to be starting off with a solid front instead of the crappy IFS I had on the Durango.

Thanks,

Guy

Yep, they are fun!

If you need anymore help with this post up.

Good luck.

PS--Welcome to NAXJA!

Can anyone show me a picture of where the starter relay is? Or explain it a little better. I see on the passanger side there are four relays. But for some weird reason I cant find what any of these are.

Thanks,

Guy

Well found er, started playing around with what I hoped was the fuse link, found an extremely weak spot in the wire and pulled hard and she slid out. Replaced it and replace the connections on my battery leads. Was a good night, now I get to look at ordering parts. Which will probably happen closer to the end of october when I finish my third year of electrical.

Thanks so much,

Guy

Glad you got it.

Good luck.

Back