• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes

gsperaz

NAXJA Forum User
Working on my 2001 rear brakes to sort out why the rear passenger side brake has poor stoipping power. Examined the right assembly and did not see the parking brake strut and spring, like on the drivers side.
Should both sides have the same components ? I would think so...
If so where can I get a strut and spring ?

Answer to first question... Yes, they should be the same on both sides. Although the part you are looking for will be side specific (LH or RH).

Second question....:dunno: ....Maybe junk yard or Napa.

Also, I just did the brakes on my '98 and I can honestly say the rear brakes do NOTHING.

I had the truck on jack stands, fired it up and put it in gear. Even at idle it took everything I had to stop the rear wheels from turning. After driving it for a while I tried just the parking brake coming to a stop and it's almost useless.

Odd thing is, after replacing the front rotors and new EBC pads the Jeep stops better than ever. So that tells me that the rears never really worked properly in the first place.

I'm going back in after 500 miles and investigate further....

Yep, the brake bar is necessary.

You should be able to find one at the local pick your part junkyard. Plan B: Go to a real auto parts store and ask the most senior guy there for the correct part. You may need to bring the one good one you have for a Part Number and sample. The bars are side specific. I needed one for a Dana 44 I bought. I found one at the local auto parts store. The young local Napa parts guy could not figure it out but sent me to the store that could.

muddbutt idk what your talking about, i just had my rear brakes done for me on my 2000 with the C8.25 and those mf'ers work awesome! im talking if i stop and pull up my e-brake and put it into gear my jeep wont move, not even on an incline.gsperaz, if you have the money, i'd take it to a brake shop and have em done right... i myself couldnt be happier. the front pads on the other hand... i'll always do them myself.

Maxx, my drivers side rear brake works great. Its my passenger side that needs attention, hence the missing emergency equalizer strut and spring.
I wish someone had one sitting around so I could move onto other things.

muddbutt idk what your talking about, i just had my rear brakes done for me on my 2000 with the C8.25 and those mf'ers work awesome! im talking if i stop and pull up my e-brake and put it into gear my jeep wont move, not even on an incline.gsperaz, if you have the money, i'd take it to a brake shop and have em done right... i myself couldnt be happier. the front pads on the other hand... i'll always do them myself.

Do you know exactly what was done during your brake job. I would like to do the same to my '97. My rear brakes are useless, and the e-brake can barely keep the Jeep from moving even at idle. Seems most people have same experience as I am having.

Seems most people have same experience as I am having
============================================
I can be doing 25 MPH pull up on the handle (hard) and leave 2 strips untill she stops. you can't ask more from a E brake.
Try this.
Ckeck all parts repair as needed.
On the 91 I (THINK) the cable has a ajustment. Ajust untill there is lots of play in the cable. Then ajust rear pads. Then ajust cable play unit handle pull up 2 or so clicks. If the cable is to long. Then the cable my need to be replaced or a add-on ajuster may be needed.

Back