• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front swaybar bushing mounts; stripped nut inside the unibody frame!!

Mr Clean 1

NAXJA Forum User
One of the bolts on the front swaybar bushing mounts is stripped out. Now because it's a unibody frame how do I get inside to either weld in another nut, after removing the damaged one, or attach a nut so that the bushing mount bolt can be replaced once I replace the bushings? Can I cut a hole into the frame right next to where the bushing mount is to gain access to get the job done? Have any for you guys run into this problem, what did you do? Thanks.

Just drill/tap it to the next larger size bolt. 'Simplest solution. Save the cut/weld routine for when one of the rear spring weld nuts breaks loose.

I had two nutserts break off, one on each side. I removed the front bumper, access is possible with the front bumper off. The driver side is a bit more of a problem, but it's possible to fish a nut back there and get it done, passenger side, much easier.

Yeah, gain access through the 'frame' tube from the front. Don't go cutting holes unless you can weld on an appropriate patch. I had it happen to me- the weld nut snaps loose, and just spins on the bolt. That's the good thing about these vehicles-they sharpen your diagnostic and repair skills!

Back