• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st gen rear hatch hinges

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to replace the hatch on my 95 XJ with one I assume is 87-90 (badge on tailgate says 4.0L...non-HO). I noticed the hinges are different between them. The hinges on the older hatch have large tapered bosses cast into hinge where the stud threads into. This boss fits into the holes on my roof, but the taper bottoms out before I can get everything tight. The hinges in the 95 are flat and don't have these bosses; instead they have a foam rubber gasket washer that seals the roof holes.

I guess I will try swapping my old 95 hinges on the donor tailgate, but I'm curious how this older style worked. I am using 3 factory shims per side, it looks like I would need at least 2 more per side to get this to work, and that doesnt seem right. Were the roof holes slighty larger in the earliest XJs?

well, I got the hatch installed, seems to fit properly. I had to add a shim from the 87-90 tailgate for a total of 4 shims per side. I also noticed the older style shims had a smaller width slot, probably designed to work with this boss in the hinge. I only had the shim pack from my donor hatch for one side, I think these are they key to making the older on work on my newer XJ.
Below is some pics, dark green hatch is the newer one (1995) leaning against my CJ, and the donor hatch is red. The older shim pack (before I peeled it apart) is in the second pic
2010-08-27001_.jpg

2010-08-27002_.jpg

No, there's a whole different spacer and plate, and one era has larger mounting holes in the body than the other.

I put a 91-96 hatch on the back of my 89 last year, it was a whole lot harder than it should have been...

Robert

Back