• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Wheel seal(s)

kjpeter

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question that has been confusing me for some time now.

When I look up wheel seals for the rear of my 1987 XJ at Advance Auto, it lists an inner and outer seal. I have looked in the Chiltons and Haynes and it also lists the inner and outer. I have also called the dealer and was told my some young pup that it does have two.

My problem is when i first recieved and took apart said D44 it only had the outer seal. And so I only installed the outer seal. I have had problems with leaking fluid out of both sides and was wondering if the masses out there know if it is suppose to have two seals or one.

Just from installing everything I do not know if there is going to be enough room to install a inner seal due to the bearing plate being bolted on.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Axle info
1987 XJ Dana 44 steel housing

They list an inner seal because the early 44's and 60's that share those outers actually ran a seal just on the other side of the wheel bearing, and the wheel bearing was lubed with grease. No idea why the parts stores ALWAYS list an inner seal still. This was fine, but there have been reports that the wheel bearings only lasted about 25k miles this way. I actually read an old article for the truck my axle originally came in and it said to do away with the inner seal and grease and just run the outer seal and have the bearing lubed by gear oil.

i have had problems in the past getting a good seal as well. make sure there are ABSOLUTELY no nicks on the axle shaft around the sealing area. the smallest scratch will wear out the seal quickly and cause leaks. also i like to smear a bead of rtv around the outside of the seal as sometimes i damage the housing cutting the old race out. even then. its really just a precaution i take. i have had gear oil leak out between the seal and the housing before.

I know with Samurais there is an outer seal and an inner 'splash guard'..not a full seal but it keeps 'most' of the gear oil off of the bearing but still allows it to go back if some does get through.. it's basically just a rubber circle with holes in it that you jam in there.

Back