• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

body changes

babyhuey

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know of any changes to cherokee bodys over the years? i'm looking at an 84 2 door/manual to use to rebuild my rolled over 94 2 door/auto. i thought i heard somewhere that the trans tunnel was different. the truck i'm looking at is a 2.8/5 spd truck and i want too use it to rebuild my 4.0/aw4 truck.

I don't know of any "big" changes until you hit the 97' model year.

84' was the 1st year of the XJ, and had a different radiator support and engine mount locations to fit the 2.5L/2.8L packages with the TF999/5spd/NP 207 combo.

87' Was the next change for the 4.0L/AW4/5spd/NP203 Combo.

I believe the next break came in 91'

Then again in 97' when they changed the body style.

You said an '84 to replace a '92? There are those on this board wiser than me who would probably pass. Let me say that there's nothing you can't do, if you've got the patience, tools, and ability. Honestly, you'd be better off '87 or newer (4.0), '91 or newer (OBD I, never had a RENIX, fear of the unknown), or '96-'99 (still current OBD II, cracking heads started '00?). Just my two cents.......

does anyone know of any changes to cherokee bodys over the years? i'm looking at an 84 2 door/manual to use to rebuild my rolled over 94 2 door/auto. i thought i heard somewhere that the trans tunnel was different. the truck i'm looking at is a 2.8/5 spd truck and i want too use it to rebuild my 4.0/aw4 truck.

In 84-86 the engine compartments were smaller; IIRC the engine compartment was enlarged in '87 when the 4.0L replaced the 2.8L.

smaller how? so your syaing that a 4.0 won't fit more than likely. i figured its must be different somehowbbut wasn't sure. the windsheild frame is crushed on mine otherwise i'd repair it.

Consulted a Jeep tech friend of mine to refresh my memory about the differences between the 86 and 87 versions when they went from the V6 to the I6.
There were differences in the radiator, upper and lower radiator supports and front frame cross beam and possibly minor differences in the firewall.
Engine mounts and crossmember bolt holes are different along with a different wiring harness.

Charles

Last edited:
I would keep looking... aim for an 87 through 94 or 95/96 if you are only swapping parts it needs. They changed the seat bracket mounting sometime in the 94-96 range, not sure exactly when.

They changed the seat bracket mounting sometime in the 94-96 range, not sure exactly when.
'95 has the newer seats and mounting methods. Although, I think the older, Renault derived seats were more attractive, comfortable, and durable. We've even gone as far as fitting earlier Laredo seats to our '95. The newer front seats are interchangable with ZJ buckets, as long as you use the XJ base, as the ZJ bases have a different footprint.

Agreed on comfortable, haven't had the chance to verify durable yet... I've only owned them for a couple years and my skinny ass isn't enough to break seats.

Four years ago, I found a cherry set of buckets from an early Laredo, and installed them in my '92. Turns out the driver's seat cushion pan was cracked, leaning to the point where it hurt my back. That's when we figured out that right and left cushions are interchangeable. And since the right seats are hardly ever used, there's plenty of replacements available. The newer seats need some extra work to fix. The driver's seat in my '96 Country was beyond repair, was been owned by a 'healthy' woman. I ended up using '98 seats, and I had to repair the foam in it. Got a power base (rare on newer seats) from a '95, put the '98 seat on it, and installed it in my '96. I also put a power base under the driver's seat in my '92, and a rocking base under the right seat, just to have that odd option.

Back