• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creaking from hell

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
As in my previous post...I am on vacation and getting nervous....99XJ 170K.

When I bought it, I heard some noise after I started the car and turned the steering wheel while it was stopped or moving at 5mph or below. The guy that sold it to me simply said :"Rust" (man of many words)...Noise disappeared within a day after I bought it.

Seven years later. I heard it once last week. Then couple of times more...Now I am on vacation, yesterday we went through a rainstorm. Nothing out of the ordinary, but now if the car is stopped or moves with 5mph or less, when turning the wheel I hear the sound X100. It sounds kinda like an old rusty metal door creak (sp?).

I greased the chassis before left and I dont think I have a stuck calliper.

Anything I should be really worried about?

Thanks in advance

Boris

sounds like ball joints are dry or worn out

it could simply be a bad bushing or steering component. My trackbar has had a bad lower bushing for 6 months now and it makes those noises. They are kinda like creaky clunks. hopefully nothing is cracked under there. I would have someone turn the wheel while you take a look under there and take a snoop around. grab stuff in the process you might be able to feel what you cant see.

$5 says the frame is cracked or messed up around the steering box and/or trackbar bracket.

Have to agree with Foxwar71....
Sounds as though the steering box could be loose.
There is an aluminum inner mount between the steering box and the uniframe and when the bolts either loosen up or the aluminum mount wears it causes a creaking noise due to torque applied against the steering box and aluminum mount.
If this is the case; you need to verify that there are no cracks where the bolts go thru the uniframe. If there are.... this could become a lot worse over time.
There are a couple ways to address this issue; if this is the problem. Check the steering box bolt torque; should be 70 ft. lbs. If they are not; you know you have a problem and can tighten them temporarily until you can repair the problem.

There is a kit that will strengthen the steering box mount.

C-Rok Frame Reenforcing Repair Kit

http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html

insideplate200.jpg

plate-on.jpg

Back