• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Steering Box - Direct replacement?

Stahlgewitter

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have a '96 XJ with a pretty good fluid leak coming from the power steering box. I also have access to a '98 TJ that was rolled at high speed and totaled, to use for free parts. Visually the power steering box on the TJ looks identical to the one on my XJ but my question is does anyone know if the TJ steering box has a different ratio or is somehow indexed differently? Basically, will this work for me?

Thanks for the advice. Searching didnt come up with much.

pretty sure its the same. I know its variable ratio, not sure its the same. I do know that a YJ box is bolt in, im looking for one of those because I want the constant ratio

Some of the TJ boxes are direct bolt-in, some aren't, I don't know when the changeover was though. If it looks the same it should work.

They are fixed ratio like the YJ boxes so steering is more predictable but slower. They only have 3 bolts instead of 4 so they are weaker than the YJ boxes and the same strength as your XJ box

Back