• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee timing or what?

1fox2go

NAXJA Forum User
I hope this is the right thread:

Heres the story. I picked up a 94 xj 5 speed from a dude for 250 bucks. Supposedly good engine but doesnt run. 4.5 in lift 33s 8.25 29 spline rear and a 242 tcase.

Anyway I figured for 250 I could part it out and make my money and then some. Knowing a neighbor needs an engine I figured try and get it running so I could sell that too.

Problem is I cant get the bastard in time. The guy I got it from said the donor engine is from a 91...

Also we had it running for a short while but it was definitely out of time, but close enough to fire...so I know it can run, just getting it to run right...

Timing on the XJ is non adjustable, it's controlled via the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor by the ECU. You should put the distributor in the correct position (it's easy to get them 180 degrees out, i.e. firing on the exhaust stroke) and make sure your plug wires are on right (1-5-3-6-2-4, too young, too old, just right) and work from there.

Timing on the XJ is non adjustable, it's controlled via the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor by the ECU. You should put the distributor in the correct position (it's easy to get them 180 degrees out, i.e. firing on the exhaust stroke) and make sure your plug wires are on right (1-5-3-6-2-4, too young, too old, just right) and work from there.

Agree 100 percent. If you are off one tooth in either direction it will usually idle but have off idle issues, two teeth and it may or may not run. Re-index the distributor and recheck your plug wires.

Yea, when we set the engine to TDC, its like we are one tooth off and can not get the bolt that secures the distributor in place in the correct position.

I guess my next question is, would a 91 engine work on the 94 distrib and wiring harness?

Thanks for the replies Id really like to get this thing running to beat around in as opposed to parting it out

91-99 longblock is the same iirc, they added some NVH changes in the 95-96-97 timeframe but none of it affects the sensors or operation of the motor.

Should be fine as long as it's properly indexed and you use a year-appropriate camshaft position sensor.

Yea, when we set the engine to TDC, its like we are one tooth off and can not get the bolt that secures the distributor in place in the correct position.

I guess my next question is, would a 91 engine work on the 94 distrib and wiring harness?

Thanks for the replies Id really like to get this thing running to beat around in as opposed to parting it out
<scratches head> That bolt & clamp really only go in one place. If you can't get the distributor all the way down after indexing it 1 tooth, you may need to reach down into the hole and turn the oil pump a little so that you can get the drives together again.

At TDC the rotor should not point at the #1 cylinder. It should point at the #1 cylinder when the crank is at approximately 14 degrees BTDC.

91-99 longblock is the same iirc, they added some NVH changes in the 95-96-97 timeframe but none of it affects the sensors or operation of the motor.

Should be fine as long as it's properly indexed and you use a year-appropriate camshaft position sensor.

I asked because I was wondering if the distributor gear and or cam gear are different/ year specific.

Thanks for the help guys. Any more input? I wont be able to work on this thing until Saturday and only for a couple hours then. Being on call sucks

With the engine at TDC Number 1 cylinder, install the distributor with the the rotor pointing to the 4 o'clock position. If need be, rotate the oil pump drive to the 11 o'clock position prior to putting in the distributor. Once fully seated, the rotor should point at the 5 o'clock position which is the number 1 cylinder. Note that the trailing edge of the rotor will be at the number 1 cylinder location. The timing is retarted by the PCM so the distributor must be set full advance.

I checked with the parts store and they list the same flywheel from 91-97 for the manual transmissions

Its a big can of worms but from what I can tell. the engine is a 91 with the 91 flywheel. The trans is 94, and the tcase was swapped for whatever reason for a 242

Back