• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I service my 4 wheel drive? 1999

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 / 4x4 / 4.0 / 167,000 miles. I had some problems getting it out of full time, it was not normal for my jeep, it usually come out with ease.

Does anyone know the procedure for topping off the 4x4 gear oil in the axles I assume? I am wondering if the 4X4 is low on gear oil, and need to know how to service it. Maybe some one has written a procedure but I can not find it.

Thank you for any help, it is most appreciated!

Jackate

When you add oil to the differentials use 75W/90.
If you haven't replaced the gear lube in differentials since you purchased the Jeep; then it is probably time.
The front D30 holds appoximately 2 quarts and the rear D35 or Corp 8.25 holds approximately 2.5 quarts.
If your rear differential has a factory traction device such as the TracLoc limited slip; then you should add about 4oz of friction modifier for the l/s clutch packs.

The transfercase which controls the 4x4 function generally holds approximately 1.5 quarts of automatic transmission fluid.
If you decide to replace the ATF; make sure to use the Chrysler recommended lubricant.

Last edited:
Its probly out of adjustment. Some one will chime up withe the correct procedure. Its just as simple as the procedure described above. I would tell you but others on here are much clearer with these things..

are your tires all the same make and model, size, and IS YOUR AIR PRESSURE CORRECT? I've found this to have a huge effect on the 4wd binding going in and out of it.

are your tires all the same make and model, size, and IS YOUR AIR PRESSURE CORRECT? I've found this to have a huge effect on the 4wd binding going in and out of it.

Yep, first thing to check is to see if you have mismatched tires sizes and/or makes, and that tire inflation is set equally.

If you are going to change the transfer case fluid, NEVER remove the drain plug first, always remove the fill plug--sometimes they are seized and sitting there with an empty transfer case you can't refill is quite frustrating. Use Dex III/VI.

As said by the others, 75-90 gear oil in the differentials, fill when sitting level. Use modifier if you have a LSD.

Good luck.

Check your owner's manual, the full-time transfer case can often be made to shift by putting the transmission in reverse, then accelerating hard backwards for about 20 feet.

If you are going to change the transfer case fluid, NEVER remove the drain plug first, always remove the fill plug--sometimes they are seized and sitting there with an empty transfer case you can't refill is quite frustrating.

x222222222222222222

this was by far the dumbest thing I have ever done working on my jeep.

Thank You all,

I do have mixed matched tires, I will be fixing that before winter, I bought two new front tires of a different make, same size, and put the best remaining two on the back.

Also my tire pressure was off on a couple of tires.

Thanks for the info, I am going to change the fluids anyway because they were last changed at 70,000, about six years ago, I now have 168,000.

Jackate

Trick for matching tires:

With the tire/wheel off the vehicle, put a mark on the sidewall and the floor, then roll the tire/wheel one full revolution, mark the floor and measure the distance. Do this for all four, then match them the closest in size on each axle.

There is a large variance in tires between manufacturers and even between a single manufacturer's models. The larger the size tires the larger the variances.

Back