• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix - Which Lines Keep it Running?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
ok so heres the dealio, I'm working on my jeep, its a 89 4.0l laredo 4x4 cherokee. I have just switched to a open cooling system. my airbox has broken and i need a place for a coolant overflow resevoir.

I was thinking i could get down to the junkyard with the broken airbox and some packing tape.

however, since i am under the hood and this renix bs really ticks me off... (every time i touch a line it breaks....)

I want to take out as much of it as possible.

I dont have to pass safety emissions or smog.

and if anyone ever says anything to me about it I'll take it off the road and register it as an atv.

so what i need to know is this...

Whick of these god forsaken tubes keep it running... I know i need to keep the map sensor but so far thats it.

Also I do not have a heater control valve but will be installing one this winter maybe.

what i have to go on is this:

vacuum.jpg

NAPA sells the complete hose kit for reasonable. To keep a Renix running well, you should really keep all the hoses.

egr is required? i was under the impression that it could be taken out if you did not need to pass smog

preferably i would delete the airbox but i dont have a way of filtering it at the moment other than an old clogged oiled type filter and i dont have the cleaning juice. would carb cleaner work? =)

i figure i've got about a good year left on this engine and body before i part it and use the money for my fc-150 project. i just need it to get my to the pond a few miles away and tow a trailor full of tree clippings every now and then

refresh my memory what is the ccv?

this is what i think i have in mind based on what i have read so far, but i still have questions, and i may be completely wrong

copyofvacuum.jpg

Last edited:
I deleted a lot of crap from my 89 including the egr and iac....my xj is 200miles away right now but if I remember when I get home tomorrow ill snap a few pics of what I have left.......egr isn't needed though.
I've been driving with it disconnected along with the iac valve for the last 4yrs

This is one of the Illegal activities on NAXJA:

"Emission Modifications or Removal of Required Emission Components
- Discussions regarding removal or modification of emission components should be limited to race or strictly off road only vehicles."

Any further discussion in this thread that is a violation of NAXJA rules and the thread will be deleted.

Rules are rules.

thanks joe, my mistake, i assume this applies in general as everyone can read it, luckily in oklahoma there are no inspections other than does the vin match, and does it have brake lights and turn signals.

The original question, before we got to the EGR tangent, was Where to put the overflow bottle, after converting to an open system. I have converted both a 1987 and a 1990 to the open system. I left the closed system pressure bottle in the original position. I cut the bottom hose nipple off and threaded a brass bushiing into this spot. Then I fitted a brass el hose nipple into the bushing. I connected a plastic tube to this brass nipple and routed it over to the new radiator fill neck. It works great this way on both vehicles. It makes no difference if the overflow is routed to the bottom of the bottle, or if the radiator suckes the return through a straw and out the top of the bottle. I took an old heater hose, with 90* bend near the end, cut the long end to 3', and clamped the short end to the open side port on the pressure bottle. This will dump any overflow on the ground past the starter.

Back