• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driver's power window- no response

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, I did search, but it's crazy trying to wade through all of the "driver's side window switch" issues.

98 XJ, power windows and locks. I did the shortcut fix for the window switch, so far no issues.

Just yesterday, my driver's side rear window won't budge when I hit the switch. I haven't tried it from the rear door switch.

That door also has a lock issue. What parts do I need to replace/look at or what key words do I need to search. Is there a FAQ somewhere for all this kind of stock issue stuff?

does the window motor hum but the window not move? or is it just completely dead?

if you can hear the motor and it does not do anything the window could be either off the track or jammed on the track

Sorry, that wasn't too clear.

No motor hum, no noise whatsoever. The only thing I see is that the little green light in the drivers door switch and in the rear door switch is still on.

Oh, and I just checked, it doesn't work from that rear door switch either.

Check the wiring harness to the door in question - may be damaged. I had a rear window refuse to go back up - it ended up being the window control module in the drivers door. Pain in the butt to fix, but now they work.

Mark

I think it is very nice of you to be so concerned with the rear drivers comfort.

Although my A/C works I rarely use it unless it is over about 100 degrees. I drive with the front drivers window all the way down, passenger window halfway down, and both rear windows about 2 or 3 inches down. When the switch failed the rear passenger window was down, refused to go up. Of course I hit the down button, it went open more - I keep a loaded gun in the console and had to get the vehicle secured for the night so I opened up the door and did the spark method of getting the window closed - really pissed me off, I was in a great mood before it broke. Anyway, ordered the replacement, had the butchered up broken switch hanging from the inside of the door (with no trim panel) by duct tape (camouflage, of course) until I got it back together. My rear seat is almost always folded down so it's a cargo area - and nope, I really don't give a rats @$$ about passengers as there are never any!! Mostly just dive gear, it doesn't whine about the heat!!

Mark:looney:

It's actually a pretty simple system. It is all switch logic at the drivers control panel. Middle OFF. One way motor voltage. The other way motor voltage is reversed. If when you have someone hold the switch, you have no voltage at the motor, it's either the control panel, or wiring in between.

To figure out which it is, you will need to remove the drivers side door panel, and remove the control. Ohm it out. The diagram is in the FSM in section 8 (fitting really, I h8 those diagrams!). Then move to the wiring harness.

I did a write up on my failed pass window that I could control from the Drivers side. It was a bad solder connection on the control board.

Good Luck!!

Back