• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upcountry Please...

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching but I guess I am not that good at it, I even called in "ask Woody" style, but no luck. N.E. who, I just need the part #'s for the rear springs and front coils(Upcountry package) for a 99 XJ. I want to put this on my Jeep and the dealers have no clue, I have called 2 different shops, and a junk yard that deals only with Jeeps, and no luck. So please forgive the no search skills and help me........ Tanks JOE>

Unless you get them from a junkyard, it'd be easier and cheaper just to go with aftermarket springs. Up Country was something like 2" lift. I'd look at one of RE's offerings in the 3.5" range, or just bit the bullet like I did and go to the 5.5 extreme duty. Works great, good ride, plenty of clearance. :)

Just so you know there are two types of rear Up Country Springs. Part number 52002392AB is the only one still being produced. Part number 52002390AB is no longer available. Also the front Up Country Springs is part number 52001794. This is for 97-01 XJ's.

Blaine B. said:
On a build sheet, what would the code be for Upcountry springs vs. regular springs?

In 2000, it looks like it was a few separate codes:

AWE - Up-Country Suspension Group
SDUP - Heavy-Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks
SH8P - Delete Rear Stabiliser Bar
ZGLP - Spring - Left Front
ZGWP - Spring - Left Rear
ZVLP - Spring - Right Front
ZVWP - Spring - Right Rear

This is based on the VIP report for my 2000 Limited; YMMV.

Where did you find that info casm?

1985xjlaredo said:
Where did you find that info casm?

The VIP report - basically, go into your local dealer with your VIN number and request the Option Sheet; it's one part of the complete VIP report along with the recall history and some other stuff. You can also request the Option Sheet via email from Jeep here. I know they only ask for the last eight digits of the VIN, but it's a good idea to give them the full thing in the comments.

One thing worth noting: DCX seems to rarely be able to provide build sheets for XJs made much before 1988 - I'm guessing that AMC's records weren't completely rolled over into theirs after the acquisition. Can't hurt to ask, though.

I'll have to drop by the dealer sometime and get that information.

BTW here's a photo of a Cherokee with Upcountry Suspension and stock tires.....verified, not just a "guess". I forget if it was this thread or another, but people actually wanted to check out an actual upcountry equipped XJ.

UpCountry2.jpg

UpCountry1.jpg

From the looks, I'd say my XJ only has the upcountry SUSPENSION (no skids, factory towhooks, etc)

I was told that you COULD choose certain items out of a package, without actually getting the entire package....aka, suspension, but no skids or hooks....

Stock tires are about 27.63 inches tall, and I'm running 30's.....so I'd say by the look of it, I do have the upcountry suspension. Front suspension is stock.....in the rear I added some add-a-leaf's to bring things back up to factory height after the sagging that occured due to worn out lowest springs.....)

JeepLeftSide.jpg

JeepRightSide.jpg

Would you agree with me? Sorry to intrude on this thread.....

Well, it certainly sits nicely . . . and the front bumper weight looks like it's carried well over the 30's. Is there a rear hitch or skids? How many miles/ what year?

I just measured the center hub to bottom of the front flares.....its 17.5 inches. That's a stock suspension.

The front bumper isn't heavy also......there is a class 3 hitch and an oil cooler, as it does have the towing package. No skids.

Its a 95 Country w/ about 179,300 miles.

Blaine B. said:
I just measured the center hub to bottom of the front flares.....its 17.5 inches. That's a stock suspension.

Maybe. If you're still on factory shocks & springs, that could be normal sag on an Up-Country. Mine certainly did that towards the end of its life.

Incidentally, here's a head-on shot of mine taken a couple of days after I got it. Tow hooks are evident, and you can just make out the suspension skid under the air dam. More photos are here; sure seems weird to see it now on stock suspension and 28" tyres.

xjheadon.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking XJ!

I know shocks aren't factory.....they are very stiff, and the rear shock upper mounts have been "modified (aka, bolts through the body since the "made of butter factory studs" were all cracked off....

It would seem wierd to sag EXACTLY and inch :)

Blaine B. said:
Very nice looking XJ!

Thank you :) All I can say is that that was taken about 30 minutes before I took it down to the local mud pit behind it and took care of the dealer's wax job... Hasn't really got any prettier since then :D

I know shocks aren't factory.....they are very stiff, and the rear shock upper mounts have been "modified (aka, bolts through the body since the "made of butter factory studs" were all cracked off....

Ah, OK. Chances are those shocks and springs may well be shot themselves.

It would seem wierd to sag EXACTLY and inch :)

Funnily enough, I know someone with a '97 that did exactly that...

Back