• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor clutch issues

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 105,000 miles. A/C system has a leak, guessing it the evaporator. I think the compressors clutch is "going south" also. I have a junkyard compressor pulled from a low milage mint condition 2001 XJ c4c victim. I am gonna put the compressor in soon. Horrible squeal from under the hood for about 1 second if A/C is turned off, lasts much longer with it on when Jeep is first started. Doesn't squeal from a stop with A/C off but it does with A/C on until around 2200rpms. A/C doesn't also work either, can be driving down the road and it will just stop working for no apparent reason. I'm gonna get a belt tension gauge tomorrow from Napa, could be the squealing problem.

Issue I have/wondering about. Girlfriend is taking it to Bar Harbor, Maine next weekend. It's about a 12 hour drive. It will probably only be used on the ride up and back, not while in Maine for 7 days.

I think the clutch is going bad on the compressor, it didn't work when hooked right to the battery. It did the next day though. Pressure wasn't low in the system at the time. If she was running the A/C and the clutch flat out died, would it lock up and destroy the belt and leave her stranded? What's the worst case scenerio that could happen with a bad A/C clutch. Really didn't want to replace the compressor until I got a new evap and Receiver Drier / Accumulator.
I treid doning a search but didn't find anything. TIA

2000 XJ 105,000 miles. A/C system has a leak, guessing it the evaporator. I think the compressors clutch is "going south" also. I have a junkyard compressor pulled from a low milage mint condition 2001 XJ c4c victim. I am gonna put the compressor in soon. Horrible squeal from under the hood for about 1 second if A/C is turned off, lasts much longer with it on when Jeep is first started. Doesn't squeal from a stop with A/C off but it does with A/C on until around 2200rpms. A/C doesn't also work either, can be driving down the road and it will just stop working for no apparent reason. I'm gonna get a belt tension gauge tomorrow from Napa, could be the squealing problem.

Not a good sign, the clutch is in very bad shape when it starts doing this.

Issue I have/wondering about. Girlfriend is taking it to Bar Harbor, Maine next weekend. It's about a 12 hour drive. It will probably only be used on the ride up and back, not while in Maine for 7 days.

I think the clutch is going bad on the compressor, it didn't work when hooked right to the battery. It did the next day though. Pressure wasn't low in the system at the time. If she was running the A/C and the clutch flat out died, would it lock up and destroy the belt and leave her stranded? What's the worst case scenerio that could happen with a bad A/C clutch. Really didn't want to replace the compressor until I got a new evap and Receiver Drier / Accumulator.
I treid doning a search but didn't find anything. TIA

I would say very likely. Your clutch is failing badly when it is freezing up (engaging) even when the power is off.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with Joe. The clutch and the pulley bearing are two different things. The clutch can fail to engage for an infinite amount of time and it will never hurt the belt. The bearings on the pulley are a different story as the pulley is always rotating regardless of the clutch being engaged or not.

It sounds like the belt is loose and the clutch may need to have a shim removed. By the way your searches will be more productive if you go to Google and use naxja as the searched domain. Take a look at the bottom of this page in similar threads, there are several.

Back