• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical problem, aux components won't turn off

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I have another daily driver and the XJ only comes out about once week. This morning as I was leaving for work I noticed that there was a light on inside the XJ. It turns out my radio was turned on! I opened the door and found that the ignition was in the off position but my aux components were still on and have been on for 3 days. Obviously the XJ didn't start but it when I pulled the key out, the lights were still on. I put the key back in, turned it to the aux position then turned it back off and everything powered down. The ignition seemed to stick a little too. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what is the best fix.

BASICS--like the year?

Sounds like an ignition switch problem. If you have the GM style column, up through mid nineties, the key/remote rod/ignition switch setup works loose and won't correctly position the contacts when the key is turned.

Another possibility is the connector on the ignition switch is melted and power is being fed between the contacts.

BASICS--like the year?

Sounds like an ignition switch problem. If you have the GM style column, up through mid nineties, the key/remote rod/ignition switch setup works loose and won't correctly position the contacts when the key is turned.

Another possibility is the connector on the ignition switch is melted and power is being fed between the contacts.

Sorry, its a 98 with 178k on the clock

Sorry, its a 98 with 178k on the clock

Ok, then you have the later steering column with the ignition switch right behind the key lock cylinder. Doesn't mean it isn't the ignition switch, just a little harder to get to on yours.

Other possibility would be corrosion or something on the back side of the fuse block (lower right passenger side kick panel) or PDC under the hood--I don't know where exactly the radio fuse is on the late models like yours.

Good luck.

Back