• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 <> 342 Swap

2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
I found a lower milage 2001 Cherokee. It has the 242, and my 2000 has the 231. Is this a direct swap? Transfer for transfer, shift plate for shift plate (plastic piece inside vehicle). I would assume the plate that determines the shift pattern needs to be swapped. What about the shifter and/or linkage.
I guess I'm asking if this is a seamless swap?
Don't worry about driveshafts, that will all be swapped also. Thanks!

I just did this swap 2 weeks ago. Went from a 242 with slip yoke to a 231 with SYE. Can't say anything about the driveshaft, but the swap itself was straight forward, unbolt one, bolt on the other. I did use the shifter arm off the 242 on the 231.

Re: 231 <> 242 Swap

Is the wire harness different? I think the 231 has three and the 242 has four. Do I just switch ends along with transfer cases. Will the vehicle that had the 231 but now has the 242 now not have an indicator for all wheel drive mode? Not a problem just wondering. Will the 231 in the vehicle that had the 242 have the right wires hooked up to show the indicator on the dash? Any information would be helpful.

Hello neighbor. Use the search tab for more info, (http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php ) several people have posted info about this swap and how to make the dash lights work. You will need the Tcase shift gate, the shifter bezel and as much of the 242 wire harness as possible to make the FULLTIME 4x4 dash lights work. The 231 and 242 have different wire harnesses on them for the indicator lights.
standard.jpg

Right now I don't have the indicator lights. Shift linkage works ok, but I did use the arm off the 242 on the 231. Both had a 2 wire plug, and the harness was about a foot long and plugged in to the vehicle further upstream. I'll eventually investigate this to get my "part time 4wd" light working again, but right now it's not a huge issue.

Mark

Good point, easy to get bit on the spline count.
The 2000 and 2001 AW-4 Tranny's are both 23 spline.

Back