• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Static, crackling noise

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
Three times within the last week I've gotten a static, crackling noise coming from the lower left side of the dash. It starts off loud and within 30-60 seconds it fades out. The HVAC is turned off and so is the radio, so it's not something blowing in the vents or a speaker. Could it be a relay or something electrical? I don't smell anything burning when it happens and I looked underneath the dash with a flashlight and didn't see anything out of sorts. Any ideas?
2001 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP231, 159,000 miles.

Does your door/key/lights/seat belt buzzer work?

Not sure if they are all on the same circuit, did you try sitting in the drivers seat, start engine with seat belt not fastened?

Just in case anyone else has this happen. The noise was caused by the turn signal stalk not fully returning to the off position. It wasn't staying on enough to keep the signal on, but enough to cause the relay to start freaking out and making noise.

LOL! Ok, that is a good find.

That might have been what happened to my Wife in her old Windstar one time, she freaked and swore there was an electrical fire under the dash. Of course I had to pull everything apart looking for it, and I found nothing.

Glad you found it.

This started happening my my 2000 XJ after sitting outside for a few weeks and not being driven. I suspect its oxidation of the relay contacts because after I actuate the turn signal a few times, it stops happening, and the turn signal works normally.

Back