• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

won't start/stay running

Hickboii

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i'm new to computers and TBI and sensors. mostly worked on old chevys and fords.

I have an 86 2dr 2.5l 4cyl when i bought it, it ran. i drove it home but as i got close to my house it started dying but i would just pop the clutch and she would fire right back up. the fuel gauge read half a tank, but when i tapped on it it sounded empty so thinking the gauge might be wrong i poured some gas in it and now it won't start at all. WTF. i tried and inline fuel pump thinking maybe the pump was the problem but still nothing. any suggestions would be appreciated.

CPS is most likely

i believe a volt meter will tell you if its within spec. sometimes, depending on the price (i paid 22 bucks or something) just replace it since its probably covered in metal shavings anyways.

joe peters will probably chime in with the volt requirements for it. or you could search for cps issues. there will be aboue 6.2 million threads pop up cause we all seem to have that issue at some point :)

ok so i'm not sure if it was cause i disconnected the battery or what, but now i'm back to it will run for 30sec then one of the relays under the hood trips and shuts off the fuel pump and she dies. any thoughts or is that still consistent with the CPS.

ok so turns out it was the ground on the fuel pump inside the tank. it was all corroded and nasty. so i cut off the connector, put on a new one and she runs like a champ.

Glad you fixed it, I was gonna guess fuel pump ballast resistor next. Might want to check it if you have one (dunno much of anything about the older 4cyls.) They like to corrode away to nothing.

Back