• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cup holders

They don't just "snap" on, you have to do some cutting.

If my memory is working today the side mount cup holders had two "hooks" on the top that you had to trim the center console insert to allow them to catch, and you had to cut a rectangular opening on the passenger side of the console for the lower flexible "latch" to clamp.

I owned one of these but never mounted it as it took up too much leg room for the passenger and it would have been broken quickly.

I have one of the "over the parking brake handle" holders that I'm not going to use as a friend gracefully gave me his Tuffy locking center console w/cup holders from his wrecked XJ.

They don't just "snap" on, you have to do some cutting.

If my memory is working today the side mount cup holders had two "hooks" on the top that you had to trim the center console insert to allow them to catch, and you had to cut a rectangular opening on the passenger side of the console for the lower flexible "latch" to clamp.

I think that depends on the year. I've never had to cut anything the holes were already there. One thing I did do was to run 2 1/4" bolts through the cup holder into the top on the console, so it won't get knocked off. JIM.

I have one in my '93 and I like it. It does take up a little room on the passenger side, but whether or not that bothers you will likely depend on your size. My fiancee and I are both fairly small people so it's not really an issue. Much better than not having a cup holder though!

I have one or two of these kicking around someplace. My problem with them was that it's very easy for a passenger to bump into them and break the lower tab that keeps it from flipping up. I think both mine have or had broken bottom tabs, one from my own passengers, one from previous owners. For security you would probably do well to put a little angle bracket on the bottom and screw it into the console at the bottom. I'm pretty sure I can locate at least one of these, so PM me if you're interested and don't mind the broken bottom tab, and you can have it for postage.

edit to add: I just found one, and see that it also has a broken top tab. Probably not even worth the postage.

Last edited:
Had this in my 96, was great even when passengers had to hop over from the driver side because my passenger door was still jammed shut. It stood up to a fair amount of abuse from feet in the process.

It mostly functions as a death-wobble detector now... when I am entering death wobble, it falls off to let me know.

I like this one, but it limits your top speed if you don't want to spill your drink.

AW.jpg

Cup holder threads crack me up!

Here is my DD 90 XJ,
P1020300.jpg

My 96 tril rig
P1020153.jpg

P1020154.jpg

My other 2 pre 97 XJ's have the cup holders in the same place, works great.

Back