• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Upgrade Experience?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I was searching and reading posts about alternator upgrades and came across this:

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

It seems that some folks here have done this, some while upgrading their wiring and some not.

My alt just died yesterday, smoke, squealing, very dramatic. Would have been neat if it wasn't mine.

So I'm thinking about putting a 136A in since I have to replace it anyway. At this point I probably don't need it since I haven't added the planned lights and winch yet so it shouldn't be drawing the full 136A. Will I be safe with the factory wiring for now? I plan on upgrading the wiring in the future but money is tight right now. Being in a coma for 6 weeks wreaks havoc on one's finances.

BTW, it's a 95 with the 4.0.

Thank!

Just because you install an alternator capable of higher amps, doesn't mean they will be used. So, yes, you'll be safe with the factory wiring, unless you install accessories that, combined with current accessories draw significantly more amps than the factory wiring was designed for. The factory wiring that needs to be upgraded is the wire running from the alternator to the battery via distribution block, and any wiring that is used to run a new accessory that requires more amps than the accessory it is replacing. If you add off-road lights, you should add a new circuit, including the correct relay to accommodate the lights. The winch will come with cables that connect directly to the battery. So go ahead and install the larger alternator, and install the single, new, larger wire from the the alternator to the distribution block. Search Google for "current" +"wire size"--I found this: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Use it to select the correct wire size, buy it, install it, and you'll be good to go. Too easy not to do it right in the beginning.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going with the 136A alternator. I can get a reman locally for $135. The Mean Green is just way too expensive and the San Jose is on the other side of the country.

Stoneattic,
I just finished up putting in a Grand Cherokee 136a alt in my boy's '93 Cherokee a few hours ago. It wasn't a bad job once I got into it. Removing the fan, fan shroud, battery, and tray made the job a ton easier. Especially with the A/C on his Jeep. A little grinding on the two brackets and the engine block was bad to do either.
Best of luck to you on your recovery from the coma.

Newbeme said:
Stoneattic,
I just finished up putting in a Grand Cherokee 136a alt in my boy's '93 Cherokee a few hours ago. It wasn't a bad job once I got into it. Removing the fan, fan shroud, battery, and tray made the job a ton easier. Especially with the A/C on his Jeep. A little grinding on the two brackets and the engine block was bad to do either.
Best of luck to you on your recovery from the coma.

I just got the alt out tonight. That was more of a pain than I expected. I pulled the battery and tray and managed to manipulate it out but the new one is a little bigger and I expect isn't going to fit without pulling the fan and/or shroud as you did.

Thanks for the tip and well wishes. (I'm recovering way ahead of schedule and shocking the doctors :) )

I finished the installation today. A bit more grinding on the brackets than I hoped but it went pretty smoothly. I'm actually get 14v on the dash voltmeter for the first time. I had always assumed that the factory gauge was inaccurate. Maybe it is but my cleaning up of all the connections helped.

Anyway, I'm real pleased with the swap.

The original alt had seized a bearing and cracked the housing all over the place, took out the serp too.

Newbeme said:
Did you end up pulling the fan and shroud? I'm asking for future reference in case I ever need to pull this one.

Yes I did. If you're going to do this I HIGHLY recommend pulling the shroud and fan first. It would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Back