• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed the oil in my jeep now it runs like crap ...help

mramr1974

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a 1997 4.0 auto 4x4 cherokee , stock, i changed the oil in it being its new to my fleet and upgraded to the bigger filter put in 6.5 quarts of oil the same way ive done in all my 4.0 i6 and started it up . It ran but not right the idel would go up and down 750 to 1000 . then on the road about half the power of normal came home checked oil level . Was about a quart to much. let some oil out about a quart. took for a drive same problem. checked plugs cleaned em up took drive a little better but problem still there. took cap off shot some wd40 in took drive a little better but problem still there. i also checked for vacume leaks no luck .3 days ago i washed the engin bay with simple green and a hose I covered the computer and the cap with plastic, I drove it for those 3 days with no problems I also cleaned the thortel body at that time as well. Im lost . any ideas? Ps i used 10/30 oil and fram filter.

Hi,
For my 2 cent's worth I cannot see that this has anything to do with the oil change, but is from washing the engine, sounds like water has got into the electrics somewhere, it should dry off given time.

Yep... be carful what you spray. I try to just avoid spraying anywhere near the intake. I decided to wash my bay out once... a few hours my crankshaft sensor quit and ol betsy left me stranded at a peewee little colt football game...

Not the cause of your problem, but don't use POS Fram filters.

Look around that huge POS filter you put on and see if you could have disturbed any wiring and/or connections near it during the installation process. Unplug and plug back in any connectors in the vicinity.

Fram filters arent THAT bad but I would def run either a Tough Guard or High Mileage one. I like to use the Mopar ones in mine. I can get them at wal mart too.

As for your problem, its weird that it happened 3 days after you washed the engine. at that time, I feel as if the heat of the engine would have evaporated any water in sensors/wiring/etc. and im not sure what else you would have disrupted, electrical wise, down by the oil filter other than the oil pressure sensor, which wouldnt make your engine run poorly. I would let it run at idle for a little bit and see if anything clears up. Other than that I dont know what it would be except that a sensor got shorted or something when you washed the engine

I would check the TPS. Mine will sometimes die a few days after a rain. I didn't plan my hood vents as well as I had hoped so rain comes right through to my TPS.

My bet would be on water in the TPS.

Probably needed a few days to corrode its guts. pull out your meter and test it.

Thanks for the responces, The tps is just fine swaped the one of my 95 xj,i6. I also cleaned and regreased the connections by the oil filter and cleaned the throtle body again this time with it off and with carb cleaner not brake cleaner maybe the brake cleaner killed somthing i doubt it, double checked for vacume leaks. Gonna borrow a code reader tomorrow and see if theres a code and go from there it runs a little better but the truck just doesnt have any snap and stumbels at WOT maybe it's the cap any other suggestions please let me know Thanks.

it was the tps. The iac was what i swapped not the tps learned alot i have the cleanest throtle body in alaska now. Thanks for the help

Fram filters arent THAT bad but I would def run either a Tough Guard or High Mileage one. I like to use the Mopar ones in mine. I can get them at wal mart too.

Fram filters have given me plenty of problems like low pressure at startup and plugging up after 2000 miles.

Also beware that the Fram filters on the shelf at Walmart may not be the same quality as at other stores. If the UPC is different, its an even lower quality, courtesy of the stranglehold Walmart has on its vendors to lower price without regard to quality. This is common on many items at Walmart like diapers, slightly smaller food containers, etc.

I wouldnt put a Fram on anything. For some reason, I really like Wix.

Wix or NAPA Gold (made by Wix).

The low-line Fram filters use a nitrile rubber anti-drain back valve, a really BAD IDEA for vehicles with vertical or horizontal mounted filters.

jeez never seen so much excitment over an oil filter I have not had any problems with the fram filters in the past but the filter had nothing to do with my jeeps problem. It had a napa filter on this jeep from the previous owner but the oil was black as night dont have any idea when they changed it last but it had been a while when i get a new rig i start changing out all the fluids I planed on only going 1000 miles or so on this extra large frame filter and the new oil with rislone in it and flush out all the crap thats has been built up in it then maybe some seafoam to before i change the oil again and put a decent filter on it. I plan on keepin this jeep for alot longer than XJS ive had in the past so its worth the better filter to me once i get all the old crap and deposits out of it. but if its a piece of crap that you dont plan on keeping for a long time and your on a budget dont think its to big a of deal to use a frame filter as long check your oil like your supposed two once a week. And change it out when the oil gets dirty keep in mind the fram filter i put on is 1/2 quart bigger there is also more oil that will be cooler and cleaner based on the increased volume alone that has to count for something. Without a doubt ther are better filters out there but the fram filters have there place if your oil change budget is 12 to 15 dollers, Its got to be better to change your oil on time or more often then sitting on old filters and oil like the way it was on this xj when i got it. Drove 100 miles today and its running great nice smooth idel to all the cleaning and di-eletric greasing paid off.

Back