• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weighted shift knob for AX-15?

musikman43155

NAXJA Forum User
I have a weighted shift knob that I had on a car, that I would like to put on my Jeep Cherokee w/ AX-15.

Would a weighted shift knob damage the transmission in any way?

The knob weighs 460 grams, or about 1 pound. I wouldn't ever consider the weighted knob unless I already had it.

Also, anyone know the thread size?

Thanks!

Thread is 10 mm x 1.5

The only thing I want 16 ounces of is prime rib.

I would be concerned of it pulling the transmission out of gear under braking or other acceleration/deceleration events.

I dont think it would cause any problems but I must comment, I thought weighted shift knobs were for ricers?

Weighted knobs are popular for Miatas. The stock Miata knob is pretty heavy but some people like heavier. Other cars come with weighted knobs too.... hell, maybe every shifter knob is weighted. It adds some momentum to your transmission shifts, which to some people feels better.

Same principle as a weighted computer mouse

tie a helium balloon to it, problem solved

just make sure it's a chrome/mylar balloon not a silly rubber one

And you can take a quick suck on it the next time you have to talk to a cop who has pulled you over. He'll think you are some kind of weird illegal immigrant and send you on your way (except maybe in Arizona).

Same principle as a weighted computer mouse

There is a BMI for mice?

Couldn't help myself! :rof:

If you have to use additional force to move the shifter due to the knob's mass, wouldn't that possibly SLOW the shift down?

There is a BMI for mice?

Couldn't help myself! :rof:

If you have to use additional force to move the shifter due to the knob's mass, wouldn't that possibly SLOW the shift down?

Yeah and some gaming mice come with weights you can put in to adjust the BMI.

The momentum makes the shift feel smoother, even though it takes more effort.

I don't see an issue with using a heavier knob. I installed a short shifter(Z3M) and heavier knob(ZHP) in my m3 2 weeks ago and I like the feel and action. The Hurst for the ax15 rules!

I don't see an issue with using a heavier knob. I installed a short shifter(Z3M) and heavier knob(ZHP) in my m3 2 weeks ago and I like the feel and action. The Hurst for the ax15 rules!

Agree. My shifter was toasted when I got the XJ, OEM new was $300, grabbed the Hurst off of the internet new for $150.

Back