• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1974 Ford D44 disk brakes??

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I wona a D44 on ebay
now the seller says its a 1974, but it has disk brakes?/
5 on 5.5 wheel pattern
4:11 gears

I thought that they didnt come with disks till later..
the C's have already cut off and its already prepped for coil buckets ..althought I think im gonna narrow it to waggy specs

can I have the ford axles cut and splined to waggy specs for spares??

anyway thought I would share my latest mod $$

i paid $117 I think I got a good deal

Last edited:
i know Dodge was a half year change to disk on the D44, i had a 74 power wagon with front drum, most 74's i saw were disk, so i would suppose that ford would also have disk avalible. i think the Bronce held onto drum a little longer

The short side front axle is too short to allowing cutting to waggy specs. At first glance, it seems long enough, but the axle is tapered at the splines, requiring you to cut off too much for resplining.

My buddy won some Superior outter shafts for that. :)

It's not worth the money to spline the spicer shafts unless you have something odd. Waggy shafts are cheap and you can get 1541 shafts from Yukon (marginally stronger) for not a whole lot more than junk yard prices.

The '79 F-150 long-side was long enough to have it shortened to the Waggy short-side length, and as I recall, I had to use a '76 Chevy K10 long-side (which I already had) to cut to the length of the Waggy long-side--the F-150 long-side was too short to cut and re-spline. The positive(?) is that the cut and resplined axles do not have a taper at the splined end like the stock axles. This should result in an axle stronger than stock.

Back