• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe Urgent: Replace D30 pinion seal and

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
notched yoke thread and nut, of course :D

Just installed front drive shaft but now noticed that there's appreciable in/out play of pinion yoke (1/8" to 1/16" ish) into diff housing.

When I originally reinstalled the pinion nut it got very tight, the torque wrench passed 160lbs. but didn't click so I went a hair more past the marks I made and stopped. I'm sure one more complete revolution of the nut would not have been good... Been driving maybe 300 miles w/o fds if that matters.

Is this in and out yoke play into the pumpkin normal, did this with all wheels on ground in park and 2wd. I'm 99.9999 sure I counted threads correctly (barely one thread ahowing originally).

Thanks,

yes it's bad.
even without the front DS the yoke will spin, unless it's a disconnect axle and running the bearings loose will kill them.
I just did the pinion bearings in my D30.
There's no crush sleeve, so taking the yoke off should not affect pinion preload because it's set with shims.
pinion nut should be torqued to 200-220 lb ft, I torqued mine to 220 to get the right bearing preload. If you don't have the tools to measure the bearing preload I'd just torque it to 210 and call it good.

You know, I think my FSM said 160lbs, I'll double check, but I did back off a hair from the index marks I made (used a decent torque wrench), because w/o the driveshaft I think I heard a whine that corresonded with tire speed, though I'm not exactly sure.

Food for thought, thank you.

I didn't use the FSM, I got the spec straight from Dana's website. Don't have the link, but it was a pdf with all the torques for all the dana axles.

I felt like I was standing on the torque wrench and still it didn't click, just passed index marks, felt like it had a lot more to go, since I just reinstalled the front d30 unit bearings.

I definitely do not think I could make it one more revolution, not even an eighth.

All is quiet w/fds in, same as it ever was.

Worst case scenario, do you have to open the pumpkin to pop out the pinion cup?

Thanks...

yeah, I used an impact on mine to seat the bearing cups, then set the torque.
Honestly it was my first time in a diff, and had the parts store not screwed me on the right parts would have been done in a day.
I pulled the shafts, carrier and pinion out. Had nothing but a bare housing under there. Cleaned it all out, popped the bearing races out, put it all back together again.
It's held up fine for about 600 miles so far. My pinion bearings had about as much play as yours, maybe more, I'd say 3/16 side to side.

Yeah, I notice about that much lateral play. also.

I'm convinced that it's all together right, thanks for the help,

I think you misunderstood me. My bad bearings had that much play, and even had some in and out.
the new bearings, torqued to 220 lb ft to achieve the right bearing preload have no play in them, side to side or in and out.

Let me check this out again...

Pulled front drive shaft, tightened w/torque wrench to just eliminate play, but the wrench was useless because like an idiot I used red loctite.

I bet you're going to tell me to remove nut, maybe even replace it, ditch the loctite, and go through your process.

Please tell me that's the right thing to do? please?

fds is on the bench in the mean time.

btw, to get to the factory "tightness" I had to turn the wrench about 90*ish.

Let me know, be back in a couple of hours,

Thanks!

not sure about reusing the nut. I reused my nut and yoke.
someone posted the torque spec from the page at drivetrain.com, pinion nut is supposed to be at 200-220 depending on bearing preload.
I'd torque it to 210 and call it good. Hopefully you've not done any damage to the bearings running them loose.
I would remove the nut so you can get a good reading with the wrench. The nut sets the preload, and without the proper preload those bearings won't last very long.

new important D30 pinion nut/torque info...

Am friends with parts guy at local Jeep dealership. He hooked me up with a mechanic there.

I got to talk to this mechanic fact-to-face regarding the above, so here's the deal:

The separate nut and washer for the D30 differential has been officially replaced by dc with a one piece self-locking nut/washer. Three bucks or so and dimensions match perfectly with old washer/nut in front of me.

p/n (I think, picked up a bunch of stuff today) 05017755AA

He is also aware of the FSM 160lb. spec and the Dana 200-220lb. spec.

He personally said that anywhere between the former spec and 200lb is fine, with red Loctite not appreciably affecting torque setting. I think this makes sense seein' there's a 40lb. fudge range in there.

End of transmission...

Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated, really :clap:

ps, manche, what's with your wiener?!? ;)

Last edited:
well, I went until I had the proper preload on the bearing, which explains the 40 lb range. Unless you've got an inch pound dial indicator to check the bearing preload with you kinda have to guess at it.

PS, this is my weiner.
DSCF0612.jpg

I love dogs, but as a kid was lucky enough to have cats, which I love and have two now, Essay (From Dusk Till Dawn, remember the bar scene, Cheeche's reply to the bartender?!?) and Bitsy.

Is it true that the Germans bred 'em to travel and explore tunnels during WWII?

Btw, As a kid, I think my parent's bs'd me saying that dachshounds have bad backbones, forget about canines, el periodo'. Believe you me, they are my favorite canines, next to well-groomed poodles ha-ha-ha... a joke, unless they are attached to a well-groomed human female... that is the truth...

Peace...

Michael

Last edited:
dachsunds were bread to go into holes while hunting, they're a pack dog, and were used to hunt badgers.
They do have back problems if you let them get overweight, it's simple physics, his spine is 2 feet long, and it's parallel to the ground supporting his body weight.

They're so darn cute, though. And I usually like big dogs.

Thanks for the ignorance update, 87 :wierd:

btw, maybe some lower back extensions could prove helpful (I have to partly joke about everything, that's how I keep level e-moshe-an-ill-e).

But I do absorb all information for future reference and appreciate it, trust me... :eek:

Thank you...

Last edited:
I hope you retrofitted zerks on them thar wheels...

Back