• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt steering mechanism loose

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
My steering wheel is horrible loose, Impossible to drive. Years ago I had it all apart and could only tighten one screw for some reason, IIRC they were external torx. I am wondering what size bit to buy? I really dont want to get it all apart and not have the right tool, or have to track down Mr Snapon. Thanks!! Any tips or any writeups be greatly appreciated! Thanks Naxja!

I did my '89 a couple of months ago. I did found this write up to help. I took lots of photos on disassembly, laid the parts out carefully on the dash, etc.

I managed to tighten two of the bolts using a standard 1/4 in. with drive swivel socket. Put it back together with Loc-Tight because I never want to go there again.

Three hours later! I have a grant removeable steering hub that slowed me a bit, I had forgotten how it went together. Pay good attention on how it comes apart. I was able to only tightened one of the top ones, and remove and locktite two of the lowers. If this happens again I'm doing a column swap for an aftermarket or a non-tilt. Thanks for posting up the step by step PhotographerMike

Yup-- Saginaw steering column-- common to WAY too many GM's. If you go looking for replacement parts, though, remember that the wiring is different inside of them (and by all means, don't pick one from a VAT equipped GM)

Back