• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Starter Why so much money

cgriff54

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my starter is toast, and I need to replace it. I called around and a starter for a 1998 is only about $50 and the one for my Jeep the 1999 is $170. I searched the forums and was unable to find any anything that can tell my why the leap in price. Even the parts guy was stumped. If I did miss a post please link it here.

Thanks

That's quite a difference. I checked the RockAuto and it seems the '98 fits Cherokees all the way back to '87. The '99 fits Wranglers, GCs and XJ '99+.

My guess is that it's a more powerful motor to work with the V-8's.

My next guess is that a '98 starter would fit fine since the block's the same.

Yup. I paid $184.01 at Kragen for an Autolite last year. Are you going to try the '98 starter?

I have been thinking about doing that if I can talk the parts guy to take it back if it doesn't work. I am going to pull mine out and make sure they at least match up. But I am betting that is a stronger starter for the V8s if that is the case I should be able to get away with the '88.

You can use the older starters.

You will need to change ends for some of the wiring, that is the only difference--go figure.

To make more money.. As said above, pick up a starter from the older model, and get some DIY crimp connectors to connect the small wire. Or you can swap the connector on to the new starter? (Not sure if this works)

Looks like its going to be the old starter, I'll try and post up some pictures when I get finished so you can see the difference.

Thanks for everyones comments.

IIRC the new starter is a gear reduction starter. They cost a lot more but give you more torque.

IIRC the new starter is a gear reduction starter. They cost a lot more but give you more torque.
They've always been gear reduction, at least for the 4.0. Joe Peters is right. You can use any year as long as you can get the connectors to connect. I have interchanged 89,95 and 99. My 99 currently has the starter from the 95 in it. There are some subtle differences. One starter may be a bit longer, the older ones have a different rear bearing and brush assembley, etc., but they'll all interchange.

What is wrong with the old starter? Cheapest fix is to pick up a set of brushes for $20 and solder 'em in yourself if the commutator's not too hammered.

Put the 98 in there and it works just fine, took me all of 3 minutes to cut the end off and crimp on a $.03 ring connector and bolt it back in. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back