• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OFA "O" ring replacement

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed the replacement "O" rings on my oil filter adaptor - '97 with a 4.0, A4W/NP242. Did the whole thing from up top, took a T60 socket and used a punch to knock the T60 part out of the socket, then held the T60 insert in a gear wrench with --- duct tape! Put a 1/8" strip of duct tape around the insert on each side of the gear wrench, it held the insert in place in the gear wrench, used a pipe on the gear wrench to break it loose. Took it apart, cleaned it, oiled the new "O" rings, put it back together (had to flop the T60 insert around in the gear wrench so it would tighten). When I was done I wiped down as much oil off of the bottom of the jeep as I could, we'll see if that was the source of the leak. The old "O" ring that seals the adaptor to the block (the big one) was pretty stiff, the inner ones on the bolt were OK but I replaced them anyway. Whole thing took a half hour not counting cleanup. When I was done I used a lump hammer to re-install the T60 insert back into the 1/2" drive socket that it came with so it doesn't get lost. Probably lost a half a quart of oil, no big deal. Even had time to change the fluid in my transfer case before cleaning up.

Lesson learned - research the job before jumping in - I tried this with a socket last week and almost botched the whole thing, a bit of research revealed the T60 socket required. Then once you do the research, be smarter than the job - think it through so you don't bugger something else up or hurt yourself.

Mark

Back