• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head gasket oil leak?

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching, no results for some reason. I know I"m not the only one with this issue.
99 with 4.0 135k miles very well cared for.
I noticed some oil on the pass. side and checked the valve cover, it was leaking. Replaced it and cleaned the motor, now I see oil "seepage" coming from the head/block area. No oil in coolant or vice-versa. Drivers side is bone dry. Oil filter adapter has new o-rings. It runs well and isn't using oil. I'm hoping this doesn't mean a new head etc as 99's have the problem head.
I welcome some intel, money is really tight and I'll have to save up if I have to buy a head.
So, the question is, has anyone had this happen, what did you do just a head gasket?

My '90 4.0L has the same problem. There's a sizable oil leak from the head gasket on the pass side. I did the rear main, oil pan gasket, VC gasket, and OFA but I can't think of a good reason to pull the head. There's no oil in the coolant or vice versa. I just keep adding oil.

First, check/service your CCV system to make sure the crankcase isn't becoming pressurized and forcing oil out.

Second, 99 and down normally don't have the 0331 head problem, but check the casting number as a late production engine might have received that head.

Third, as 1987Comanche said, there are oil returns along the passenger's side of the head and they will sometimes weep oil and that is usually not a problem other than the mess.

Personally, I would clean things up with Simple Green and water mix, then just monitor your oil level.

Good luck.

First, check/service your CCV system to make sure the crankcase isn't becoming pressurized and forcing oil out.

Second, 99 and down normally don't have the 0331 head problem, but check the casting number as a late production engine might have received that head.

Third, as 1987Comanche said, there are oil returns along the passenger's side of the head and they will sometimes weep oil and that is usually not a problem other than the mess.

Personally, I would clean things up with Simple Green and water mix, then just monitor your oil level.

Good luck.
I'm liking this strategy here!!! Mine is a mid year 99 so the 0331 head is likely not the issue. I'm doing an oil change Monday, we'll degrease more and monitor! CCV is a good tip, in my case I know we are fine there as I cleaned it when I changed the VC gasket.

Back