• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulse/pull when turning

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a pulsing pulling when taking a fairly sharp turn and any sort of speed. I am thinking it may be the u-joints in the axle shafts. I have replaced the ball joints and tie rod. it has new ties as of may and got an alignment at the same time. does this sound like it would be U-joint related??

It does it when turning both directions.

Thanks... sorry its kind of vague in the description. I can try and provide more details if its needed.

Just fixed this problem on my '94. It was indeed the u-joint. I jacked up the front and turned the wheels most of the way, then spun the wheels to determine that it was the driver's side. When I got the axle shaft assembly out, the joint turned freely one way, but required a lot of effort to turn the other way.

Changing the U-joints has been on the list of things to do (along with changing the wheel hubs...) So I am going to be replacing both...

I want to make sure I have every thing I need before I start. I have all the big sockets (33mm or what ever size is used) like that on a 1" drive ratchet. for the front hub nut. but I will need new front diff fluid.

1. loosen front hub nut
2. Drain diff fluid (at least below axle line....
3. Jack up jeep
4. Remove wheel
5. Remove caliper from hub
6. Remove Hub
7. Pull shaft
8. Replace U-Joint
9. install in reverse order
10. Repeat steps 4-10 for other side.

Am I missing any thing?

Thanks!

So list to get at part store:

2x U-joints
2 Qrts of Diff Fluid (I run the Royal Purple 85w140)
A U-joint press kit (Free Rental)

You might want to do the axle seals, since you're already doing 80-90% of the work needed to change them. Mine weren't leaking until I pulled and replaced that axle shaft....

don't I need some sort of special "custom" tool to pull them? I know I need to pull the carrier out....

I have been thinking of doing it next weekend... and possibly getting new hubs at the same time... Still running the stock hubs with over 180K on them... they cant still be good (especially with the last 30K being with 33"s)

I read a few write up's on the axle seals...

I am trying to figure out how the front drive shaft would yield the results that I am seeing?

it does it only when turning, when in a straight line its nice and smooth...

Back