• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another turn signal issue

groovyjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I have a 90 cherokee. This is what is happening. My turn signals work fine with the lights off. When I turn my headlights on my right turn signals don't work but my left side works fine. I replaced all the bulbs checked all the connections that I can get soo far and all looks well. So all I got now is maybe it is the head light switch or multi function switch. The hazzards work just fine with lights off and on. I checked both flashers and they are fine. So any when got any ideas on my short. Never had a problem with the turn signals until about a month when this started. I have done some work on the headlight switch harness, it was all hacked up and electrical taped back together when I got the jeep, so I cleaned up used some butt connectors. Its been working fine for the last two years and I looked at it all today but it seems to be holding up. I tried searching already but didn't find anything to helpful. Thanks for reading and for any help you can give me.

No disrespect intended, but when anybody says something electrical "looks fine" or "looks good" my eyes roll back in my head!

Ok. Did you try swapping the hazard and turn flashers?

Did you use a DVOM and test the ohms of the grounds for the light sockets?

Any trailer wiring adapter installed?

Have you identified the missing element at the sockets when the bulbs won't light?

Haha no disrespect taken, it is a stupid thing to say. but to answer your questions. Yes swapped both flashers, nothing changed. Also checked the fuse while I was down there and it was fine. And no I didn't check the ohms of the grounds, don't have a dvom, I see if I can get my hands on one from someone. There is a trailer wiring adapter installed. Never even thought about that. I've never used it though. I had one bad bulb in the front but replaced. All bulbs are good now, I took them out and installed them in the working side to check and all worked fine.

Last edited:
I had about the same problem this last week. Turn signal was a little dim. With the lights on it got worse. When you turn on the head lights it also turns on the running lights. The running lights are on the same ground as the turn signal. My ground was corroded in the socket. The tab for the ground can be pulled out and cleaned it’s not physically attached to the wire. Get an ohm meter and test the ground if you can or just pull the ground tabs and clean them.

Found the problem. It was the ground on the front turn signal, the wire wasn't touching the metal strip that goes into the light socket. I fixed works great now, thanks for the help.

Glad you got it fixed.

Good luck.

Back