• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE kit?

nwcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Noob here......

I have a '91 XJ with the AW-4 & NP242 case. I'm looking into getting an SYE kit now that i've ordered my 4.5" lift. I'm wondering if I should stick with my 242 & use the Hack n Tap or if I should swap it for a 231 & use the AA SYE kit? Which would be easier, cheaper & best setup? I've never done this before but I am willing to give it a shot. I've done head gaskets, water pumps, etc before; is this something a rookie should try? Thanks

Depends on how you use your rig--is the NP242 full-time 4wd option IMPORTANT to you? If it is, then you can spend mucho bucks with Tom Woods for their kit, about $850, or just do a regular hack-n-tap.

If you change over to the NP231 there are TONS of SYE kits, some under $200.

If you can read and follow simple directions a hobbyist can do the job just fine.

PS--Welcome to NAXJA.

Depends on how you use your rig--is the NP242 full-time 4wd option IMPORTANT to you?
If you can read and follow simple directions a hobbyist can do the job just fine.

PS--Welcome to NAXJA.

Joe,

My XJ is not my DD. I bought it solely for beating up on the trails....instead of my expensive truck. After seeing a Hack N tap install write up online, it doesn't look all that hard. I was under the impression (from seeing other writeups) that the t-case had to be completely broken into. Really the only part that im concerned about now is drilling the the output shaft while still on the car. Does the kit come with some kind of jig or stencil for finding the center of the shaft before drilling?

Im running a 4.5" Rusty's with 33" ProComps, for now on a D35 rearend. I guess I should also ask; will I be needing an SYE?

And thanks for the welcoming.......
Nick

I would say that with 4.5" of lift and the AW4 there should be a SYE in your future, probably shims for the rear axle pinion angle too. Get your hack-n-tap done then measure your pinion angle to see what shims are required.

Good luck.

Back