• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is 6" to high for me?

bigoltrux77

NAXJA Forum User
I want to clear 33's on my 85 XJ. I like the way 5.5"-6.5" of lift looks like with 33's. Im just worried that im going to run into driveline problems. What will i have to do to make this work with my XJ? remember i have a WimP207 so please be specific on what to do with my setup. How much will lengthened drivshafts, SYE's, etc cost for me? Tom woods wont return my calls or emails. Do i NEED CV joints? Front and rear? or just rear? I dont go offroad alot, and when i do its just for camping and not alot of flex at all.
Another questiion-
Id like to order Rustys4.5" Kit but id like to know if i can substitue the 3" leafs for 4.5" leafs and add poly spacers. I dont want to pay for 3" springs if im not gonna use em. Also, can i substitute the normal adj trac bar for the one with the heavy duty mount and the control arms for adj. ones? Will I need Upper Control arms with 5.5-6" of lift? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks though

you do need an SYE .. you will need cv driveshafts... As for the rusty's questions about substituting things.. I would call Rusty and ask him... Just fyi though.. you could run a 4.5 inch lift and trim fender to clear 33s alot easier than lifting 6 inches to clear them.. that extra 1.5 inches meand either drop brackets or long arms for a decent ride quality.

you can substitue for alot of things.................ahh the power of the almighty dollar. but in my personal experienced opinion, if offroad is very moderate and more for just getting to a great camping spot, go 3". the XJ can handle itself very well. iv'e watched XJs with 3 and 31s hit some stuff ones with 8 and 35 could only dream of. even better it won't tear you a new one in the realm of expenses. 6" for a daily driver, not for a " cool look ." the lift kit will probably be the cheapest thing you pay for when its all said and done. if you want one for its " cool look " then sell yours and save your money and buy one someone else has already built.
just my 5 pennies less of 7 cents
Rockhound

A ? or 3

Just a question, bigoletrux.
Have you ever been offroad before, using 4-low?
Do you have any idea at all what a stock XJ can do?
I am not trying to dig, just wondering.
You have a lot of posts on a lot of forums and it looks to me like you bought the truck a week ago, and now want to replace the engine, axles, t-case, tires, and lift it 6".
Relax, read, search.
I sent you an email offering to help you out here in Sausageland, but it seems that you are too busy playing Bob Chandler, Jr. with your new truck.
Chill.
:angel:

Last edited:
Speaking from experience.........

And I have wheeled it in its present form. Tellico Crawl 03. I have 5.5" front and 6.5" raer. With stock rims and 33x12.50 tires. Read the sig! The only driveshaft problem I had was the front one. And that is easy. Join and read my article in the tech section. And the only other problem I have had was the Lovely D35!

I knew that when i posted this id get crap for it. Youre right, i know nothing about XJ's, sue me. I just got done selling my 77 Blazer so that i could have something a little more economical. Wait guys...whats 4LO!? Jeez i mean come on, im not committing a crime bc id like a nice looking cherokee...i just dont know what will fit, but im not going to be doing extreme rock climbing like most the guys out there. I dont like the way my stock cherokee rides or looks. So if im going to upgrade the suspension i want to do it all at once. I know that if i get only 3" and 31's its not going to be big enough. I drove a 77 blazer on 37's for 4 years..i know a tad about 4x4's..I just cant believe the responses i get bc i dont use my XJ as a rock buggy..I dont have the time or money to take up a hobby like this. I jsut like to do the occasional offroading. I guess no one can get that. Im sorry, Later guys

by the way..Thanks ghost, i was lookin for some type of response like that..Not one that tells me what i need bc im not hardcore..6" blocks? whatever

Hey I'm not a big rock crawler either. I just love to play in the woods. You see here in South Carolina we have soy feilds and clay mud that sticks to any and all tires. I have seen Claws and Boggers gunk up with the mud around here. LOL dont take these guys so serously they get a little testy with the bandwith I guess LOL!

By the way I forgot to mention. The only thing wimpy in the 207 is the not so low low range. Other than that your weak link is the D35!

A few things, Francis.

First off, switch to decaf.
Second, the reason for my post is that I have had many 4x4's, and my XJ with just under 4" and 31's is my favorite by far. I have had rigs lifted up to 9" with 36" tires, but this one is the one that I 'feel' better in. You have to see what 'feels' right for you, not what you see everyone else running in their sigs.
Take your jeep to Attica with me and some friends next weekend and run the green trail. You can make it stock with no damage if you are careful. Just learn what the machine can do before you decide how to build it up. I don't have a rock buggy, and doubt that I will for some time. My Jeep is a trail Jeep, and I drive it everywhere I go, family or solo. In the one week that you have been posting here, you have asked about altering tires, engine, axles, tcase, and whatever else. Every one of your questions, properly typed into the 'search' box, will give you volumes of info. We are here to help, thats why I sent you an email and PM, but no one can tell you what you have to learn yourself. Saying from the get-go that 31" tires and a 3" lift won't be enough is a little bit of a leap. We live in Milwaukee, chief, not Farmington NM.
Third, explore 'recreational chemistry' and give me a holler when the chip on your shoulder isn't so big, or after your pout-session is over.
:rattle:
Just trying to lend my $.02.

I understand we live in milwaukee...Ill be here till January then im back to Texas. I have tried emailing you but i guess you havent gotten my emails, my bad. Another thing, do you know whose XJ is running 4.5" Rustys kit with 31" BFGs? I saw him at Farm and Fleet this morning in Waukesha.

For what it's worth....

I built my XJ up to be my version of the ultimate camping vehicle. 3" and 31's and I have yet to find something to stop me in central Florida, no mountains or boulders just plenty of muddy trails. I get to where I'm camping no matter what. It'll probably never see boulders, at least not big ones, just not what I'm into. If I wanted to make it so I need a ladder to get in I could have, but I didn't see the need, it does everything I need and more.

The look of the XJ has changed since this picture (lots of bodywork and primed for paint) but it shows it with 3" and 31's.

HTH,

Mark

MarksJeep.jpg

thanks alot XJMARK, i was just wondering what i would have to do to clear 32's or 33's. I really like the way it looks on XJ's. Im not set on any certain combination right now though.

No need for a SYE

I`m at 8" in the front and 7" in the rear, just had my local driveline place cut and extend my driveshaft four about $85, sure I get some vibration but you can beat the price!:D

I've run 3.5" with 31's for 3 years now and I'm itching for more capability, but I have lived in Utah and Arizona that entire time. I'm not into pure rocks, but I seem to encounter them a lot! I've had the lift up and down between 3.5" and 5.25" at least 4 times. Every time I go up, I don't like the way it rides every day. Every time I go down, I don't like the way it performs off-road. One of these days I'll spring for a long-arm kit and keep it higher. Right now I'm trimming to try and fit 32's or 33's with 4" of lift.

My xj is at 6" with 33's, here's what i did:

Front end -
-Rusty's 4.5 coils with homemade 1.5 coil spacer
-Rubicon Express HD adj. trackbar and bracket
-Rusty's fixed uca
-altered Rusty's fixed lca to be adjustable and articulating
-ss extended brake lines
- hockey puck bumpstops
I forget which shocks are on it now, I can look and tell you later. I need to upgrade the steering components, not because they're giving me trouble, but simply because they look cheesy and I want to get something a little more stout

for the rear
- leaf pack out of a dodge 350 1 ton utility van (4" of lift)
- extended shackles
- shock mounts relocated for clearance
- slip yoke from a 95 yj
- ss extended brake lines
- lockrite, 8.25 axle

i don't run a sye, have had no problems, but each rig is different

There are pros and cons to building your own lift and mix-matching components. At the time that i built mine, I didn't want to buy a package deal, I wanted to go at it myself. My jeep handles the Northern California trails very well. Although, if all I did with mine was go camping, I'd say it's overkill. 3" with 31's or 32's for someone who does mild to moderate wheeling is more than adequate.

I am at 5" of lift (closer to 5.5" in the rear) with 33" tires, and I never go offroad. I drive it every day to and from work with no issues. It rides and drives like a stocker. It was rather harsh at first, but the RE control arm drop brackets made all the difference in the world.

I have 3" coils (rusty's soft ride) and a 1.75" poly spacer up front, RE 1463 leafs in back (advertised as 3.5", but I got closer to 5.5") and OME long travel shocks all around. I still have the stock control arms up front. I have Rusty's heavy duty track bar (don't use a track bar with a tie rod end at the frame bracket).

Since mine is a 99 MY, I had to do some cutting at the front bumper covers to prevent rubbing on turns. I haven't flexed the suspension at all since installing the 33s (it's only been 5 days) but I'm sure they would rub the hell out of everything if I did. But, since I'm a web wheeler, it really doesn't matter.

I did forget one thing! Brake lines. But that is easy. YJ's in the front or YJ's and dakotas in the rear. I personlly went with SS front and YJ rear. Plus a little "extended hard line"!

I have to ask frankNbrew what the hell do you need a t-case skid plate and rock rails for if you never take your jeep off road. I can see the lift and tires because it looks nice but why the rock protection is it for those really big speed bumps.

azxjman, who gives a rats ass why frank got that stuff..He got it because he wanted to. Im mean seriously, its his money let him do what he wants, why do we have to criticize everyone for stupid crap?

Back