• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing my Shifter in my AX-15: what's involved?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it a hell-job putting a new shifter in an AX-15 (92 HO sport)? All attempts to re-glue my shift knob have failed (after a short time) and I thought -well, what the hell... maybe I could just put a different shifter in... advice? suggestions? Probably not worth it I'm guessing...

1275715879_1.jpg

rocknob.com

Got me one of these when my original started crumbling.

Steve

Remove center console. Remove dust boot--5 or 6 sheet metal screws. Remove 4 bolts. Remove shifter. Pry off nylon bushing at end of shifter (you will need it for the new shifter). Use two small flat blade screwdrivers or two pieces of hacksaw blade, slip them up under the "bulge" in the shifter to release the tabs, then while holding the shifter in a vise knock the upper (bulged) piece off with a mallet knocking upwards. Now remove the dust boot.

Or, if you just want a knob I have one of these: http://www.jcwhitney.com/billet-aluminum-shift-knob/p2003108.jcwx I could let you have for shipping cost.

Back