• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Building a 4.7L Stroker

stever6kid

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I may be :new: to :NAXJA: but I'm not a newbie to the XJ. I'm ready to step up the old family (1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0L HO AW4 2WD) car buy stroking it out with a 4.2L crankshaft. I am also building a custom suspension set up for 4.5 inches and converting it to 4WD (hopefully useing a pair of dana 44's). I am on a budget and like doing the work myself so I really don't want to buy the motor, plus my buddy has a machine shop in his garage so tools are not an issue. I have the 4.2L rods which have been cleaned, shot peened, checked for straightness and reconditioned. I however am having trouble finding a crankshaft that will fit my engine so my question is does anybody know what I should be looking for? Someone told me I needed either a 6 or a 12 counter weight shaft to fit my 1996 4.0L HO block, but what does that mean and what year models have that?

Welcome!

I also own a 96 that began life as a 2wd, but now is a 4wd. 99 engine, 96 AX-15, 95 231 and 89 axles. Made from lots of parts.

Lots of good information on strokers here if you do a little digging. I have my block, head, crank and rods so far. I think any 4.2 crank will work.

Tom

You were right it took awhile and some serious digging but I found some good information and I should be able to build and expand off of that. I also think I found a magnafluxed and reground 258 crank from a 72 CJ for less than $50 but I'm not sure if I should get it.

Last edited:
Stever6kid.

PM system is down right now...Can't read your PM.

If you have questions about stroker build...Dyno has answered with his info...and I am building mine now. Have it on the stand half built on saturday.

you can email me at jeepcj7 AT gmail DOT com

Dr. Dyno said:
Any 4.2 crank from '72-'90 will do fine. Just make sure it's serviceable. You'll find all the stroker info. you'll need on my sites:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Dino...You need a bit more info about injectors on your site BTW.

Questions came up about high Impedence mustang...OR cobra...Which are labeled the same on ebay at times...ETC.

Pics would help a bit. I have some of the injectors so I may email you some.

All the 4.0 injectors and all of the other injectors I listed on my site are high impedance. If you have the impedance numbers, they'd be very helpful. Thanks.

10.2 for the 1999 skinny injectors
14.3 for the Mustang 24lb shorter fat injectors
14.3 for the Jeep 1990, 1993 shorter fat injectors.

All are high impedance.

It is almost appearing like you could use the mustang corbra injectors also as they are tall and skinny. I am guessing they are high impedance also.

Back