• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finicky Power Door Locks

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well, I've been having the "popular" PDL issue with my '88 for some time now. It seems it's worse when it sits in the sun and the temp inside gets over 100. Even flipping the switch in the panel back and forth a dozen times or so won't get all of the locks to unlock. I've cleaned and lubed all of the actuators and read all of the threads here and in other forums about using a pair of relays to provide better power to them. Mine has the keyless entry so I already have a pair of lock/unlock relays. Switching the relays around didn't seem to matter.

So today I pulled the kick and door panels off and started tracing wiring. I discovered that the switch on the pass side got full battery voltage (engine off) going in, but sent only about 10.5 v out to the other actuators. I pulled the switches out of the pass panel and noted some corrosion on the connector. After removing the connector, cleaning all of the contacts and swapping the window switch for the door lock, I measured about 11.75v now going to the other actuators.

Now if I try to lightly hold the door lock button on each door and flip the switch, the lock button swings to the other side with some good force. I think it will be happy, happy now.

A pox upon the Jeep engineers that came up with this screwy wiring system. ;) Oh, and I broke one of the little clips that hold the switches into the panel. Ended up using a small sheet metal screw to hold one end in place. A pox upon that guy too.

There is a mod where you wire in two relays down in the passenger foot well. Works great, door locks slam open and closed.

I've read that mod. I already have a pair of lock/unlock relays for my keyless entry. Seems redundant to have relays powering relays.

Anyway, it's all good now. Problem was corrosion on a connnector.

Back