• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp lights?

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting another set of lights. I already have the piaa 520's fog. They work really well, but for this next set, they will be going on the roof, and used only in off road conditions so I want something really powerful. I was looking at the 9" pro comp lights, do these have a lot of illumination or did they just put a large housing around the light? Anyone ever run these, how do they compare to the piaa's? Any other lights you guys suggest? Thanks.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=43752&ProductId=

I have 4 150 watt Kc daylighters on the roof and they work great, you can have them on, then turn the headlights on and you cant tell the difference with or without the headlights
Picture243.jpg

Picture252-1.jpg

ArcticCat843 said:
I have 4 150 watt Kc daylighters on the roof and they work great, you can have them on, then turn the headlights on and you cant tell the difference with or without the headlights
you can do the same thing with 10$ walmart lights ;)

yeah but when you smash them you dont want to cry

Anyone recommend some good flood lights? I want a little bit more width coverage then what my KC's give me.

I am half tempted to put some square foglights on the side of my roof rack. But I fear of going a bit overboard, since I would probably add backuplights and a four across the front as well. lol

Ramsey said:
yeah but when you smash them you dont want to cry
Good point, but i am hard on my jeep and i havent broke them off yet. I think the only way they are breaking is if you roll over. You can replace the bulbs and lenses for like $16 so im not to worried about them. I think they are worth every penny i paid for them, i dont know how i drove in the country with all the deer in michigan before i had them, they have saved me from hitting a deer at least 3 times in the past couple months

btw dont wire your lights through your fuse box because it will melt your steering colum and ignition switch. I made this mistake and had to make a extra 300 mile round trip to tow my jeep home from up north. You may know this but just trying to save you from the pain i had

well thats the whole point, 1 set of lights, and theyre quality. Piaa has life time warranty on the lights which the cheapos dont. Kc does make some extremely high quality lights, but price is also up there. I'll check them out too. Any others?

do they warranty them if you smash em against a rock?

first I doubt the lights will get hit by a rock, theyre pretty well protected by the bumper, and second IF they did somehow get hit, I wouldnt' be surprised if they warranty it. They have excellent customer service. Once my brothers relay burned out, I think water damage. They didn't even ask questions, they just sent a new one our right away.

piaa's are alot more than kc's arent they? i think they are plastic too, right?
I wanted some shinny metal ones that is why i bought stainless daylighters.

redsand187 said:
Anyone recommend some good flood lights? I want a little bit more width coverage then what my KC's give me.

I am half tempted to put some square foglights on the side of my roof rack. But I fear of going a bit overboard, since I would probably add backuplights and a four across the front as well. lol

my kc flood lights give plenty coverage. and 8 lights on a roof rack doesn't look bad and isn't overboard. people just get jealous.

and the price gap between kc's and piaa is far greater than the quality gap.
i can't say that piaas are good are bad, never had any.

i run kcs on the jeep; very happy with quality.
i run cheapos on the truck and they also get the job done. these aren't as easy to waterproof as the kcs and they don't look as good.

Piaas are overpriced and overrated.

KC lights actually makes some very expensive sets of lights, in the 1k range, so they definately have more expensive lights then Piaa. By the way the Piaa's are metal housing. I'll check out some of the kc lights in the same price range as piaa 520's and see how they work. If they produce significant amount of light, I'll probably keep them, if not satisfactory, sell them and test out another set. Thanks for the feedback.

lwbtex said:
Or if you run them in to a tree at Hot Springs? ;)
if it wasnt a 10$ light i might have backed up to make the turn :D

I've had these under water for minutes at a time with no problems (haven't even had to replace the bulbs). Harbor Freight, $13.99 reg. price.
47394.gif

I was actually thinking about either those or, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46908 for reverse lights. I've have seen both sets, and have compared them to the PIAA lights and the build quality is no where near the same. But for back up lights I wouldn't mind because they're so nice and cheap. How much light do they produce, if you have them on, then turn on your regular head lights, can you notice they were just turned on? Thanks.

etaniyani said:
I was actually thinking about either those or, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46908 for reverse lights. I've have seen both sets, and have compared them to the PIAA lights and the build quality is no where near the same. But for back up lights I wouldn't mind because they're so nice and cheap. How much light do they produce, if you have them on, then turn on your regular head lights, can you notice they were just turned on? Thanks.

I have these lights in the stock location for fog lights. They put out a very amber light, great for fog, but I would not recommend them for reverse lights. They must be low to the ground in order to light up anything, as the light is not thrown very far. And yes, you can definitly tell a difference between headlights on and off with these on. And not that its the lights fault, but they are now broken from being hit due to poor approach angle.

As far as KC goes, they get my vote. I have a set of 6x9's in the long range pattern on my roof rack, and they throw a very long and narrow beam in a very white light, they will light up a house at the end of my street(10-12 track homes long) with no problem. For the price, I would be really surprised if you can beat KC's quality and brightness. As for PIAA's, my dad has a set of 520 drivings(i think) on his tahoe, he got them in the "ion" whatever amber lense they have. They looked bright, and lit up good, but he didnt want the amber colored light, so he got a replacement set of clear lenses from them, and that made him happy. Still, they are no where near the brightness of my KC's for nearly double the price.

Back