• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows stoped working.

Mr. Clean

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I need some help with my power windows. When I bought the XJ, the switches on the back doors would not work for the up or down, the passenger side door switch did not work either. Only the driver side switches would operate the windows for all doors. I checked the switches with a meter and they seem to be working properly.

Now the switches on the driver door stopped working?! Need help.

exact same problem happend to my 2000 XJ, i had a bad ground on the front driverside door. even though that switch still works it doesnt mean its working properly.
i spliced into the existing ground wire (biggest black wire) with another wire only about a foot long, put a connection terminal on the end, and ran it below the switch panel with a selftapping screw because the metal door is just as good of a ground as the frame.
hope this helps

--Justin

exact same problem happend to my 2000 XJ, i had a bad ground on the front driverside door. even though that switch still works it doesnt mean its working properly.
i spliced into the existing ground wire (biggest black wire) with another wire only about a foot long, put a connection terminal on the end, and ran it below the switch panel with a selftapping screw because the metal door is just as good of a ground as the frame.
hope this helps

--Justin

That sound like the problem, I did not even think of ground! Thanks for the help, I will try it tonight.

It is also a very common problem to have broken wires in the driver's door jamb. All doors recieve their powere routed from the driver's switch. It is possible to re-wire each door so it functions on it's own switch,but you'd lose the capability to operate from the driver's door.

My '98 had at least 6 severed wires, and several more cracked wires where it passes throught the door jamb. it's a common problem and should show up on searches.

It is also a very common problem to have broken wires in the driver's door jamb. All doors recieve their powere routed from the driver's switch. It is possible to re-wire each door so it functions on it's own switch,but you'd lose the capability to operate from the driver's door.

My '98 had at least 6 severed wires, and several more cracked wires where it passes throught the door jamb. it's a common problem and should show up on searches.

Thank you for this info, I will be checking the wires in the door jam next.

Back