• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RMS change out, 5 spd quandry...help!

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
I've got the pan loose on my '98 5 speed XJ to replace the RMS, but I can't seem to get the pan loose from the rear plate between the engine block and the transmission. Unlike the auto's, there is no inspection plate cover to remove. It's all one solid plate between the engine and tranny. This is where the pan is still somewhat attached.

There appears to some sort of 1/2 round rubber bushing thingy thats keeping the oil pan in place on the plate. I'm afraid of using a pry bar to pull the pan out, because I'm not sure how I'm going to put the pan back in once I do. Do I have to drop the tranny to replace the RMS?

The FSM is of no help as it says to remove the inspection plate, and I can't because there isn't one.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of stuck here now...

Thanks...

Last edited:
For the night crew...Anyone done a RMS change out on a late model 5 speed?

Thanks....

Did it on my '90 5 speed. I pulled the oil pump and let it drop into the pan. Between that and taking all the weight off the front suspension it came out.

I figured I could drop the pump into the pan for more clearance, if need be.

What I'm referring to is that once all the pan bolts are removed, the pan still "hangs" up on some sort of half round rubber grommet (for lack of better decription) on the plate between the engine block and the tranny.

I'm not sure how I would fanagle the pan back in place, though the grommet, then into the plate hole, while trying to keep the gasket in place....

On my '96 there is a metal saddle clamp that goes around the outside of the pan, to hold the pan evenly to the back of the engine. It should come off if both bolts are out. If you've had a leak for a while, it may be gunk-welded in place. Get some break cleaner, hose it off, and try again to pry it off.

I did mine with the tranny pulled, and that made it a lot easier. You could loosen the tranny bolts a slide it back for a touch more clearance.

Steve

Thanks Steve.... I too found that saddle strap as well. It was held on by the two larger bolts at the rear of the pan. That was easy enough to remove.

However, I'm still stuck on the rubber-half grommet seal thingy. At this point it appears to be nothing more that an auxillary dust seal for the rear oil pan saddle lip and the plate between the engine block and tranny, where the oil pan pokes through.

I was able to see a small protion of the pan lip, as I poked around the area in question, and the pan was tilted downward. I may just go for broke and pull on the pan and see what happens. It couldn't seal too much more, considering the other existing holes at the bottom of the engine/tranny.

Ivan

That rubber seal/saddle should just be lying against the bell housing shield. The rubber is attached to the strap. Try to remove that first. The oil pan shouldn't be poking through the transmission plate.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I did find it odd that there really wasn't any rubber at all on the pan strap when I removed it. It was pretty much all metal and came off easily once I removed the two mounting bolts. I suspect the rubber piece hanging on the bell housing shield (thanks for clarifying that term), is what rubber remains of the strap. I'll have to get a new one to replace it.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Looks to me like the rubber and strap are one piece like Talyn said - part number for a 98 is J324 3116 if you want to buy a brand new one from a dealership. MSRP is 3 dollars and change, I'd bet you will pay 8-10.

Thanks for the part number on the pan strap. I'll pick one up while I get a new RMS and Oil Pan gasket too.....

Looks to me like the rubber and strap are one piece like Talyn said - part number for a 98 is J324 3116 if you want to buy a brand new one from a dealership. MSRP is 3 dollars and change, I'd bet you will pay 8-10.

Well, I went to the dealership to order my RMS and oil pan gasket. While I was there I had them check the part number you provided above for the oil pan support brace. The parts monkey was perplexed as there have been some iterations of this part over time...typical Jeep thing. When he finally narrowed it down, he said I needed the brace and some other shim thingy that was called out on his computer screen. Imagine my surprize when he quoted me $99 for it!!!

Uh..no thanks I said.

I did confirm that the half round rubber looking thingy I came across in my rig is a dust / debris shield. This must have changed over on the '99 model year to the larger rubber oil pan support brace, which from the description of its size, it now acts as a dust/debris shield as well.

In gleening over some other posts, there is yet another support brace with P/N 53010511AA as a reference, called out for a 2000 model. This one comes up being $10 or so. Much better than the $99 quote...

At this point, I'm just going to leave well enough alone and use my existing oil pan brace and dust shield, if it holds together upon removal.

Again thanks to everyone offering assistance....

Last edited:
That's kinda wacky.

I know from 99-00 the RMS and bearing cap changed, maybe the pan and pan brace also changed?

Thats some crap. What exactly did that shim do? The one on my 2000 is a single piece. The one on my 95 ZJ doesn't have that rubber piece. I say if you can save it, save it. If not just use the strap.

Back